[Michlib-l] MAP Sinks To A New (7th Level) Low

Jim Flury jflury at tln.lib.mi.us
Thu Mar 5 15:20:53 EST 2015

All,

In our never ending quest to deliver to you new and exciting MAP adventures that you can in turn share with your patrons, we have mined the depths, sunk to new lows, and hit (poor) rock bottom. How low can we go? How about 2,400 feet underground, to the seventh level! Beginning May 24, 2015 your patrons can do the same, thanks to our newest MAP partner http://quincymine.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=4&chapter=4 Quincy Mine was known as "Old Reliable" for its long record of dividend paying to the company's shareholders. Old Reliable hasn't produced copper in 70 years. But thanks to MAP, in cooperation with Old Reliable you will soon be able to produce dividends for and with your patrons in the form of a fun and educational opportunity for them.

Those who don't have U.P. roots (like I do) may be wondering what the "poor rock" reference in the first paragraph means. Poor rock is the rock that is left over following copper extraction. We would call it "tailings" today. You can still see piles of poor rock around the Keweenaw, and you can find leftover copper in that poor rock, too. I know, on account I've done it :)

Thank you for your promotion and support of the Michigan Activity Pass program.

Sincerely,

Jim Flury

Jim Flury
Technical Services Manager