[Michlib-l] ALA members, please vote for a conversation starter on Cultural Intelligence

Marla Ehlers mehlers at grpl.org
Fri Mar 6 10:51:00 EST 2015

A favor, if I could be so bold . . .

I submitted a proposal for a conversation starter on Cultural
Intelligence (CQ) Building for ALA annual in San Francisco this summer.
As I note in the proposal, "Cultural Intelligence building is a
life-long journey, and all can improve their CQ over time. In a world of
culture clashes, both inconsequential and deadly, any effort towards
cultural intelligence will make an immediate and effective impact."  The
topic is important, and one that resonates for libraries, as the session
I led on Cultural Intelligence at the Michigan Library Association
conference this past year demonstrated.

The favor?  Apparently a third of the decision on whether or not my
proposal will be accepted is based on public voting by ALA members. So
if you are an ALA member and felt inclined to support my proposal, go to
http://connect.ala.org/node/236549 and log in to your ALA account to
vote yes.  If you're looking for my proposal another way on ALAConnect,
it's full title is "A CQ Teaser: Exploring Cultural Intelligence."

I would also appreciate it if you would share this request with a few of
your colleagues who might also be willing to support my proposal.

And if the topic interests you for a staff inservice or training, I
would be happy to facilitate a workshop on Cultural Intelligence for you
for 1-6 hrs, depending on your needs.

Many thanks for your support!
Marla