[Michlib-l] Smoke free campus follow up

Shirley Dudek dudeksh at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 19:18:14 EDT 2015

Dear Jill,

I am sorry, but after reading this, no means no. Go home, go somewhere
else far away from any footage measurement!!!! It is your public
library space. Manage it with respect. You do not have to defend this
policy, just enforce it. What kind of landscape do you want to display
with people smoking measurable feet you have designated from your door
at your library. Not a picture or scene I would like to see.

Have you seen the research on 3rd hand smoking?  At hospitals, there
is a no employee smoking at any length, no concessions. We are
librarians/researchers, read the e-cig research also. How do you
expect to enforce that footage?      NO MEANS NO. Use your time to
help patrons.UGH....
Re-read your message. It is not a mixed bag. Have boundaries and call
it "library policies". Are you really going to spend time seeing if
the smoke enters the building? Don't we have better things to address?
Just asking some questions.
On another note:
People will respect boundaries, you just have to set them.
My city library always looks very professional and smoke free....and
we are across the street from a high school!  Now that is expectations
of professionalism. Never have I seen even and employee standing or
high school student, smoking even near the library property.  It can
be done.