[Michlib-l] Summer Reading Program ideas

Donna Alward dalward at hlpl.lib.mi.us
Wed May 6 14:28:10 EDT 2015

SUMMER SALSA CHALLENGE! - Last year, instead of flowers, our volunteer gardeners planted tomatoes, cilantro, parlsey, onions, and red and green peppers in the library's front planter.  Bobby Flay was not able to participate but we planned a salsa throwdown, which actually had to be delayed to September (because of cold weather had to plant late and the veggies weren't ripe).

Dave Christian, Manager at R & J's Best Choice Marketplace Deli, who is known for his own personal recipe, Dave's Sweet Creeper Heat, went tomato-to-tomato with the library's “Old-Fashioned Summer Reading Salsa.”  Youth Services Librarian, Sarah Maddox, a salsa newbie who is not afraid of anything, did the library proud with her version of a fresh, milder sauce made with veggies right out of the library's garden. The library smelled divine!

Got lots of attention and favorable comments during the summer and people were good about watching (not picking) as the garden grew.

Patrons were then invited to treat their taste buds to the fruits (botanically speaking, a tomato is definitely a fruit) of our labor and score each of the salsas.  We had loads of chips and people really enjoyed it.  Dave won but it was tasty, unexpected way to engage all ages!

Tied it into the science theme, didn't cost much, was for all ages, and who doesn't enjoy good free food!

Donna J. Alward, Library Director
Houghton Lake Public Library
4431 W. Houghton Lake Dr.
Houghton Lake, MI  48629