[Michlib-l] e-mail sign ups with no cell phone

Jennifer Hassell Jennifer.Hassell at FarmLib.org
Mon Nov 23 14:42:32 EST 2015

Does anyone know of an e-mail provider that patrons can sign up for that do not require additional authentication?  We have a patron who needs an e-mail address to apply for a job.  He has no cell phone, other e-mail address, facebook or google account.  Honestly, I do not believe that he can create and remember that usernames and passwords for those services even if we sat down and created them.  Yahoo and Gmail all require that you get a text or voice call for verification to set up and e-mail address.

If he uses his home number and opts for the voice verification than he must go home, hope that there is a message on his answering machine and then hope that when he returns and tries to create his account again that the previously sent verification code will work.  It seems that there has to be a better way for our patrons who do not use these other technologies to get an e-mail address.

Thanks in advance!

Jen Hassell
Adult Services Librarian
Farmington Community Library