[Michlib-l] Fw: School Libraries Need your Help

Steven K. Bowers sbowers at wayne.edu
Mon Nov 30 15:53:34 EST 2015

Action Alert from ALA . . .

________________________________
Action Alert:

School libraries are in!

After years of needing reform to the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), we are on the cusp of getting it. The final language of the Every Student Succeeds Act has been released and school libraries are included in many important ways!

BUT, we're not there yet!

The House is scheduled to vote on the Every Student Succeeds Act later this week and passage is most definitely not guaranteed.  Please, take a moment to take two vital actions:

1.       Contact your Representative to let them know how essential this bill is to our children's education and futures.

2.       Contact absolutely everyone you know and ask them to do the same thing.

Talking points

·         Vote Yes on the Every Student Succeeds Act Conference Report.

·         School libraries are critical to our children's future and the Conference Report includes critical language to support effective school library programs.

·         This language is historic: For the first time in half a century Congress has underscored the importance of effective school library programs by expressly including them in multiple parts of this watershed reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act.

If you are not going to call, but need a form email:

Dear...

As you know the vote for the Every Student Succeeds Act Conference Report is scheduled for later this week.  I would like to take this opportunity to encourage you to vote YES!

School libraries are critical to our children's future and the Conference Report includes critical language to support effective school library programs.

This language is truly historic. For the first time in half a century Congress has underscored the importance of effective school library programs by expressly including them in multiple parts of this watershed reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act.

Sincerely,