[Michlib-l] Reply: IPads vs. AWE computers

Marsh, Nyama N.Marsh at wfblibrary.org
Fri Oct 2 12:20:18 EDT 2015

I'll start with: I'm not a fan of AWE.

My last library (Weyenberg Library, Mequon, WI) replaced the children's AWE stations with iPads in 2013. The Library bought iPad 2s, since they were cheaper than 3s and little kids would be happy with them even without the high resolution of the iPad 3s. Only two iPads were bought, since there had previously only been two AWE stations so that was the amount of desk space available.

The iPads are great because children as little as 18 months can sit there and "draw" with the touch screen and be entertained. Whereas the little ones couldn't successfully use an AWE station with a mouse, and the AWE games didn't tend to have anything super easy for little kids.

The iPads do not have a log in or time tracker for the iPads since we knew the typical usage was short-term (i.e. 20 minutes). The iPads are not fully visible form the Reference Desk, however staff can keep an eye on them when roving. If someone were to monopolize them, then staff could say something. As of yet, that has not been an issue, likely due to the fact that adults cannot access the internet or any adult apps on them.

The AWE computers were barely used and the Library saw a huge increase in usage when it  switched to the iPads.

My current library has 2 AWE stations. We purchased the newest one in 2013 (before my time here) for $2917. To extend the warranties, it is $525 PER YEAR PER AWE STATION. By contrast, an iPad 2 on Amazon is $325. I could keep purchasing 2 iPads per year, vs keeping the same AWEs and only getting warranties for the additional money.

Personally, I do need see the benefit of paying so much money for an AWE, when I can get iPads which are touch screen and more usable for little children since they are the ones using them. We are letting the AWEs run without warranties at this point, with the plan to add 2 iPads next to them. When the AWEs die, we will not replace them.

An interesting note: In our patron survey last year, patrons asked us to remove the AWEs from the play area bc caregivers want playtime with their children without the kids being distracted by the computers. Parents are torn between the ubiquity of technology and research saying screen time at young ages is a bad thing. To provide balance, we moved the technology options to a different area than the traditional play options. Our traditional play area now has board games, construction toys, legos, a play kitchen, puzzles, and board books.

Have a wonderful day,
Nyama

Nyama Y. Marsh
Library Director
n.marsh at wfblibrary.org
414-755-6551 (direct line)

Whitefish Bay Public Library
5420 North Marlborough Drive
Whitefish Bay, WI 53217
414-964-4380 (main line)
"There are many ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all." ~Jacqueline Kennedy
"Leaders don't force people to follow - they invite them on a journey." ~ Charles Lauer