[Michlib-l] Fw: TIME SENSITIVE: Action Request to Support "Save Crypto" Issue Campaign

Steven K. Bowers sbowers at wayne.edu
Wed Oct 21 12:55:59 EDT 2015

FYI

________________________________
Subject: [alacro-l] TIME SENSITIVE: Action Request to Support "Save Crypto" Issue Campaign

Good morning, folks, and my apologies for intruding on your Wednesday and any cross-posting duplication in your Inboxes.

Every now and then, infrequently, a Washington-related matter comes along where ALA can have a real and lasting impact by taking an "all hands on deck" approach.  This is one of those times.  Specifically, ALA is a partner in a large nationwide coalition effort (www.savecrypto.org<http://www.savecrypto.org>) to obtain 100,000 signatures in 30 days on an official White House "We the People" petition. We are asking the President to firmly oppose requiring device makers and encryption designers to weaken their privacy protections to allow the NSA and others a "back door" into all of our communications. He is close to making that declaration, and we hope this drive will convince him to do so.

Please take a moment to sign the petition, retweet the message on twitter (linked below), and encourage anyone and everyone you can efficiently reach to sign and retweet too.  We have 9 days and just under 15,000 signatures to go to reach that critical 100,000 mark, which - by the terms of the We the People project - will *guarantee* a substantive White House reply.  This one's worth a real push.

Thanks for your help!  Here's the link to the Tweet on ALA's main Twitter page:

https://twitter.com/ALALibrary/status/656825221027115009

Adam

Adam Eisgrau, Managing Director

American Library Association