[Michlib-l] Fwd: UM-Dearborn Writing Contest for Grades 3-5

Barbara Kriigel bkriigel at umich.edu
Tue Sep 15 11:17:13 EDT 2015

FYI, as part of our 2015 Young Authors' Festival, we are having a writing
contest for students in grades 3 - 5.  Information about the contest and
festival is below.

Barbara Kriigel
Assoc. Director, User & Technical Services
Mardigian Library
University of Michigan-Dearborn
4901 Evergreen
Dearborn, MI  48128
313-593-5614
bkriigel at umich.edu

3rd Annual Writing Contest for Grades 3-5
[image: 3rd Annual Writing Contest for Grades 3-5]
*3rd Annual** Writing Contest for Grades 3 - 5*

*Support Your Students' or Children's Writing *
Encourage your students or children to creatively express themselves
through their writing.
Reading and writing are critical literacy skills for children to develop,
especially in the primary grades. Our 3rd annual Young Authors' Festival
and Writing Contest provides an opportunity for children to be recognized
and celebrated for their work in developing their creative writing skills.
Please take this opportunity to support your children's or students'
literacy!
*Writing Contest Theme: Celebrating Our Differences*
As students write a poem, narrative, or expository piece, some writing
prompts they might consider are: What makes you unique or different? How do
differences change things for the better? How is the world a better place
due to our differences? What would the world be like if we were all the
same?

   - If students do not want to write about a personal experience, they may
   write about someone they know, make up a character, etc.

*Writing Contest Rules:*

   - Students in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th grade may enter.
      - Submit one piece of writing: essay, poem, or narrative
      - Illustrations may be included
      - 500-word limit
      - Writing must be original
      - Typed entries only
   - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will be selected from each grade plus
   one grand prize winner.

   - Winners will receive gift cards and be invited to read aloud their
   entries at the Young Authorsʼ Festival on Nov. 14, 2015.

   - *Do not put the student's name on the entry. A second sheet must be
   submitted with the following information:*
      - Name and grade
      - Home address
      - Title of contest entry
      - School name & address
      - Name, e-mail address, and phone number of sponsoring teacher or
      parent

*Due Date: Friday, October 16, 2015*

   - Entries must be e-mailed or postmarked by Friday, Oct. 16, 2015; late
   entries cannot be accepted.
   - *E-mailed documents are preferred.*
   - Winners will be notified in early November.
   - E-mail digital entries as an attachment to: yaf-contest at umich.edu
   - Mail paper entries to: Barbara Kriigel, Mardigian Library, Univ. of
   Michigan-Dearborn, 4901  Evergreen, Dearborn, MI  48128

*FREE!!   Young Authors' Festival, Saturday, November 14, 2015   FREE!!*

Everyone is invited to attend the Young Authors' Festival on Saturday, Nov.
14, 2015 from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the University of
Michigan-Dearborn Mardigian Library.
Gary Schmidt, Michigan author and two-time Newbery Honor recipient, is the
special guest speaker. The event also includes breakout sessions for
children to write, and for adults to learn tips for supporting their
children's literacy development.

The Festival is *FREE* and open to the public. Registration begins Monday,
Oct. 12, 2015.

For more details, see the event's website:
http://library.umd.umich.edu/events/YAF
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/jr1nf/b5m7ke/fg2dub>

Directions to the campus are at: http://umdearborn.edu/maps_directions/
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/jr1nf/b5m7ke/v82dub>

FREE EVENT ON NOV. 14
Gary Schmidt
2015 Guest Speaker
Orbiting Jupiter
Coming Oct. 2015
*Questions???*

E-mail Barbara Kriigel at bkriigel at umich.edu or call her at 313-593-5614.

*Sponsored by:*
University of Michigan-Dearborn | http://umdearborn.edu
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/jr1nf/b5m7ke/b13dub>
*Share this email:* <https://t.e2ma.net/share/outbound/e/jr1nf/b5m7ke>
<https://t.e2ma.net/share/outbound/t/jr1nf/b5m7ke>
<https://t.e2ma.net/share/outbound/f/jr1nf/b5m7ke>
<https://t.e2ma.net/share/outbound/l/jr1nf/b5m7ke> *Manage*
<https://app.e2ma.net/app2/audience/signup/47106/27997/260217181/?v=a> your
preferences | *Opt out*
<https://t.e2ma.net/optout/jr1nf/b5m7ke?r=aHR0cHM6Ly9hcHAuZTJtYS5uZXQvYXBwMi9hdWRpZW5jZS9vcHRfb3V0LzQ3MTA2LzI3OTk3LzI2MDIxNzE4MS8_dj1h>
using *TrueRemove*™
Got this as a forward? *Sign up*
<https://app.e2ma.net/app2/audience/signup/47106/27997.9040221/?v=a> to
receive our future emails.
View this email *online* <https://t.e2ma.net/message/jr1nf/b5m7ke>. 4901
Evergreen Road Alfred Berkowitz Gallery, Mardigian Library
Dearborn, MI | 48128 US <#14fcda366cb10ae4_> This email was sent to
bkriigel at umich.edu.
*To continue receiving our emails, add us to your address book.*
<http://bkriigel@umich.edu>