[Michlib-l] National Runaway Prevention Month (Nov.)

Mary J mary313franklin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 12:46:50 EDT 2015

Hi Everyone!

After teen read week ends in October, what can you follow it with?
National Runaway Prevention Month.

There are great free resources from the National Runaway Safeline (NRS),
who sponsors National Runaway Prevention Month.  NRS offers promotional
materials free of charge. NRS wants to canvas the country to ensure every
youth knows how to connect to help and hope during a crisis.
http://www.1800runaway.org/free-promotional-materials/

National Runaway Safeline also has a great toolkit of ideas to promote
National Runaway Prevention Month here:
https://www.1800runaway.org/runaway-prevention-month/ There is also a list
of resources; books, movies, documentaries, and art projects here:
http://www.1800runaway.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Storytelling-toolkit.pdf

" The National Runaway Switchboard estimates:
-On any given night there are approximately 1.3 million homeless youth
living unsupervised on the streets, in abandoned buildings, with friends or
with strangers. -----Homeless youth are at a higher risk for physical
abuse, sexual exploitation, mental health disabilities, substance abuse,
and death.
-It is estimated that 5,000 unaccompanied youth die each year as a result
of assault, illness, or suicide.**"

This is also a great opportunity to network with social service agencies
and homeless prevention programs.  We will are working with Off The
Streets, a local shelter for youth experiencing homelessness and youth
homelessness prevention services.  They will host a table at our library to
hand out youth homelessness prevention materials, make stress balls and
distribute stress relieving coloring sheets.  This will be our first year
working together on this, and we hope it will get better every year!

Let me know what works for you and I will compile a list and share it with
the group!

PS Ellen Hopkins Traffick comes out Nov. 3 and would tie in well. Mary Jo
Vortkamp
Children's Librarian - Franklin Branch of the Detroit Public Library