[Michlib-l] WWI Centennial Commemorative Project Receives Additional Funding to Expand Scope

Patty Roberts proberts at chelseadistrictlibrary.org
Tue Apr 5 17:20:24 EDT 2016

​

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE*

CONTACT: Keegan Sulecki, Head of Adult Services
PHONE: 734-475-8732 x 218
E-MAIL: ksulecki at chelseadistrictlibrary.org

*April 5, 2016 | Chelsea, MI | *Chelsea District Library (CDL) is pleased
to announce the receipt of an additional grant for the World War I
Commemorative Centennial Project *Strong Foundations New Possibilities. *This
project, which commemorates the WWI centennial through Chelsea residents’
photographs, letters, stories, and artifacts, will culminate with an
installation of banners on buildings throughout downtown Chelsea. These
banners will display historic World War I era photos; chosen from those
currently being collected from Chelsea-area residents.

Deborah Greer, co-Director of Chelsea River Gallery, originally
conceptualized this project. “I was moved by an exhibit by artist Marian
Marzynski titled ‘Before I Was Anybody, I Was a Child Survivor of the
Holocaust’. It displayed large-scale outdoor banners with images of child
Holocaust survivors from Warsaw. The inspiration to do something similar in
Chelsea for our WWI veterans took hold and would not let go,” says Deborah. She
and her co-Director, Patti Schwarz then approached the Chelsea District
Library to help make it a reality. This partnership continues a long-term
relationship between the two organizations; one that has created and
produced several community events focused on art and culture. Both
organizations will be instrumental in the planning and implementation of
this commemorative display, which will kick-off on Saturday, July 30th.

CDL received an initial grant from Michigan Humanities Council (MHC) in
November that allowed this commemorative project to get off the ground. In
March, the World War I project was incorporated into the Chelsea Chamber of
Commerce’s grant application for the Community Tourism Action Plan Program
(CTAP) through Washtenaw County Convention and Visitors Bureau. “This
project is one of the most intriguing collaborations yet for our community.
It speaks to the heritage of our community, our country, and the world in
ways that are very distant to most of our citizens,” says Bob Pierce,
Executive Director of the Chelsea Chamber of Commerce. On March 24th the
CTAP grant application was approved, allowing the World War I project to
expand from the downtown area into the south end of Chelsea.

CDL has launched the World War I Commemorative Centennial Project on
the *Stories
of Chelsea* website, available at
www.storiesofchelsea.chelseadistrictlibrary.org where you can browse the
first photographs and stories collected. CDL continues to look for Word War
I era photographs, stories, and artifacts from the community. While
photographs will continue to be accepted, in order for them to be
considered for the banners they must be received by April 25th. Community
members with items to contribute can contact Keegan Sulecki, Head of Adult
Services at 734.475.8732 x218 or at ksulecki at chelseadistrictlibrary.org.

About Us: Chelsea District Library is nonprofit organization whose mission
is to provide equal access to quality resources that serve the lifelong
cultural, educational and informational needs and interests of all people.
The Library currently serves 14,000 residents in the Chelsea district –
City of Chelsea plus Dexter, Lima, Lyndon and Sylvan townships and more
than 20,000 individuals visit the Library each month.  For more information
visit chelsea.lib.mi.us

#

​
Patty Roberts | Marketing Coordinator
Chelsea District Library | 221 S. Main St. Chelsea, MI 48118
734.475.8732 ext. 216 | proberts at chelseadistrictlibrary.org