[Michlib-l] short discounts with Michigan contract

Maureen Derenzy mderenzy at otsego.org
Fri Apr 8 15:13:31 EDT 2016

Has anyone who uses Ingram as their primary vendor noticed that they are
receiving only a 10% discount on titles from major publishers?  For example,
we received only a 10% discount on the heavily promoted Rise of the rocket
girls (Little, Brown).  When I questioned the discount, I was told "This
book falls under 'Text, Technical, Reference, Small Press' titles, which
under their Michigan state contract is 10%."  Today, I received more books
with a 10% discount (DK Publishing, Penguin Books), so I went back through
invoices received since the beginning of 2016 and found many others (Crown,
Norton, Houghton Mifflin) that are not technical books, but rather books
marketed as basic non-fiction.  My sales rep is working with me on this, but
I wanted to know if this is affecting only my library or all Michigan
libraries.

Maureen

Maureen Derenzy, Library Director
Otsego County Library