[Michlib-l] Authors Selling Books

Megan Buck meg at dcl-lib.org
Tue Aug 9 14:35:25 EDT 2016

Hi, All,
Years ago we had someone take issue with the selling of books during an author visit.  The solution at the time now seems cumbersome and I would like to propose a change.  Before I get ahead of myself I was hoping to gather information on how other libraries are handling this.
Some of the questions I have are:
Do you allow authors to sell books onsite, and if so who provides/sells the books?  (Does the library provide the books to sell and keep any profit?  Do you use your Friends group to sell or invite a local bookstore to sell onsite? Do you ask the author sell their own books onsite with no interaction from the library/FOTL group/bookstore?)
Do you treat self-published authors differently?
Is this something in a policy, or just the way things are done?

Thank you in advance for any and all ideas and advice!

Megan Buck
Director
Dickinson County Library
Iron Mountain, MI 49801