[Michlib-l] Donations from library

Julie Grynwich nblibrary at comcast.net
Wed Aug 10 10:38:21 EDT 2016

Hello,

We have been approached by our community Arts Council to give a $5000
donation to honor a community member, who died last year.   This person was
a library board member for many years, our board president for many years,
and instrumental in community support for our new library.  We were given
almost $3000 in memorial donations after his death, and spent some on a
memorial bench.

I'm just not sure it would be legal or appropriate for the library to make a
donation.  I know we cannot use tax dollars, but can we use donations?   Are
all library funds considered tax dollars once the library receives them?

Is there a publication that explains what is and is not allowed with library
funds?  I'd love to have it!

Julie Grynwich, Director
New Buffalo Twp. Library

P. 269-469-2933