[Michlib-l] MeL Minute - Winter Holidays

Borrelli, Eunice (MDE) BorrelliE at michigan.gov
Thu Dec 22 15:52:03 EST 2016

________________________________
From: Borrelli, Eunice (MDE)
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 4:02:43 PM
To: Borrelli, Eunice (MDE)
Subject: MeL Minute - Winter Holidays

Hi all,

With the weather we've been experiencing, staying indoors and doing some light reading or dvd watching sounds ideal.  And now that homework and research assignments are completed for the term, we can pursue our own interests - not assigned ones. A likely topic could be winter holidays and celebrations - the Winter Solstice, Christmas, New Year's Eve and Day, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah (Hannukah, Chanukah), Three Kings Day (aka Epiphany), Chinese New Year, and Bodhi Day/Rohatsu, among others. You might want to find out the meanings, origins, traditions, foods, and rituals for them. MeLCat<http://mel.org/melcat> is a fabulous place to start. Doing even a basic search for any of these celebrations can yield articles, DVDs/videos, books of all kinds, music recordings, audiobooks, and images.  Remember to use the "Refine by" options in the left margin to see all of your options. Here are the search results<http://search.mel.org/iii/encore/search/C__Swinter%20solstice__Orightresult?lang=eng> for winter solstice. Not to be outdone, MeL databases Britannica School<http://www.galesupport.com/migeoipcheck/migeoipcheck-brit.php?database=BRSCHOOL>, Research in Context<ttp://www.galesupport.com/migeoipcheck/migeoipcheck-gale.php?database=MSIC>, and eBook K-8 Collection<http://galesupport.com/migeoipcheck/migeoipcheck-ebsco.php?database=EBK8> offer great resources, and, don't forget the Topic Finder tool found in InfoTrac and OneFile to discover related topics for these holidays. How long is your holiday/winter break? Not long enough when you have MeL.org and MelCat resources at your fingertips!

MeL Minutes are brought to you by the Library of Michigan.  Want more information on MeL?  Stay tuned for the next MeL Minute available on many Michigan library listservs, email us at contact at mel.org<mailto:contact at mel.org>  or visit http://mel.org<http://mel.org/>. We encourage you to share MeL Minutes with your colleagues and networks.
Eunice

Eunice C. Borrelli
Michigan eLibrary Internet Librarian
Library of Michigan/Michigan Dept. of Education
517-241-4996
[Follow MeL on Twitter]<https://twitter.com/meldotorg>  [MeL - Michigan eLibrary Logo] <http://mel.org/>   [Like MeL on Facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/mel.org>  [Check out MeL on Youtube] <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO1dqA8_ZOCfZcHP9OaBGew>
[cid:image002.png at 01D20444.B08921B0]Help us acknowledge and celebrate the great work of
Michigan educators! Go to: www.michigan.gov/proudMIeducator<http://www.michigan.gov/proudMIeducator> today.