[Michlib-l] For those who charge for internet use. . .

Norris, Sonya (MDE) NorrisS2 at michigan.gov
Tue Feb 2 07:31:32 EST 2016

Hi Eric,

You are correct. For anyone interested in the specific guidance around this, please see below:

FCC 97-157 section 566

566. Resale. Section 254(h)(3) bars entities that obtain discounts from reselling the discounted services.

Telecommunications services and network capacity provided [to schools or libraries at a discount] may not be sold, resold, or otherwise transferred by such user in consideration for money or any other thing of value.

And then section 567:

567. We agree, however, with the Vermont PSB that the section 254(h)(3) prohibition on resale does not prohibit an eligible entity from charging fees for any services that schools or libraries purchase that are not subject to a universal service discount.  Thus, an eligible school or library may assess computer lab fees to help defray the cost of computers or training fees to help cover the cost of training because these purchases are not subsidized by the universal service support mechanisms. We also observe that, if eligible schools, libraries, or consortia amend their approved service contracts to permit another eligible school or library to share the services for which they have already contracted, it would not constitute prohibited resale, as long as the services used are only discounted by the amount to which the eligible entity actually using the services is entitled.

Sonya Schryer Norris
Library Consultant
Library of Michigan

702 W. Kalamazoo St.
P.O. Box 30007
Lansing, MI 48909-7507
Ph: 517-373-4457
Fax: 517-373-5700

Check out the curated content on the LM homepage including state and national CE offerings, LM events, stats reports, headlines from around the library world and intriguing snapshots of our varied collections at http://michigan.gov/libraryofmichigan

http://mel.org<http://mel.org/>
http://michlibrary.org<http://michlibrary.org/>

Customer Service is a priority at the Michigan Department of Education – helping Michigan schools, families, and communities improve the achievement and well-being of ALL our children.
[http://inside.michigan.gov/mde/docs/Docs%20and%20Templates/MDE%20-%20Color%20+%20Transparent.gif]