[Michlib-l] Presenters on the World War I Era

Lois Keel lois-sez at lois-sez.com
Fri Feb 5 12:53:23 EST 2016

I'm still putting together my program on the Hello Girls, General
Pershing's bilingual phone operators who went to France, but here is
some of what I've found about the women of southeastern Michigan,
including the only death abroad.
<http://www.storytellingresearchlois.com/search/label/Hello%20Girls> I
will portray Oleda Joure, a Marine City teenager who received special
permission to enlist.  As she looks back on those days, I can include
music because she and her brother both were weekend musicians.  He
entertained the troops, but when she arrived in England and was asked to
do the same, she had to say she couldn't because she already had taken
her oath and would be court-martialed.  It was only after the war the
Girls learned the army considered them contractors not deserving
benefits.  It took until President Carter to earn their recognition.  In
the meantime she stayed close to her fellow Hello Girls.

Like the Hello Girls, I'm currently having my uniform made, and am
nearly ready to promote it, but hope these women intrigue Michiganders.

--
Lois Sprengnether Keel
Website:<http://www.LoiS-sez.com>,

* Storyteller in MI Arts and Humanities Directory
* In Historical Society of Michigan Directory
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/resources/storytellers-
speakers-musicians/storyteller-
lois-sprengnether-keel/>
* State Liaison for National Storytelling Network
* Webmaster for<http://www.MichiganStorytelling.org>