[Michlib-l] A great choice!

Christine Hage christine.hage at rhpl.org
Wed Feb 24 14:45:06 EST 2016

*[image: Inline image 1]*

*President Obama said, “Michelle and I have known Dr. Carla Hayden for a
long time, since her days working at the Chicago Public Library, and I am
proud to nominate her to lead our nation’s oldest federal institution as
our 14th Librarian of Congress. Dr. Hayden has devoted her career to
modernizing libraries so that everyone can participate in today's digital
culture. She has the proven experience, dedication, and deep knowledge of
our nation’s libraries to serve our country well and that’s why I look
forward to working with her in the months ahead. If confirmed, Dr. Hayden
would be the first woman and the first African American to hold the
position – both of which are long overdue.”*

*Carla D. Hayden, Nominee for Librarian of Congress, Library of Congress:*

Dr. Carla D. Hayden is CEO of the Enoch Pratt Free Library in Baltimore,
Maryland, a position she has held since 1993.  Dr. Hayden was nominated by
President Obama to be a member of the National Museum and Library Services
Board in January 2010 and was confirmed by the Senate in June 2010.  Prior
to joining the Pratt Library, Dr. Hayden was Deputy Commissioner and Chief
Librarian of the Chicago Public Library from 1991 to 1993.  She was an
Assistant Professor for Library and Information Science at the University
of Pittsburgh from 1987 to 1991.  Dr. Hayden was Library Services
Coordinator for the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago from 1982 to
1987.  She began her career with the Chicago Public Library as the Young
Adult Services Coordinator from 1979 to 1982 and as a Library Associate and
Children’s Librarian from 1973 to 1979.  Dr. Hayden was President of the
American Library Association from 2003 to 2004.  In 1995, she was the first
African American to receive Library Journal’s Librarian of the Year Award
in recognition of her outreach services at the Pratt Library, which
included an afterschool center for Baltimore teens offering homework
assistance and college and career counseling.  Dr. Hayden received a B.A.
from Roosevelt University and an M.A. and Ph.D. from the Graduate Library
School of the University of Chicago.

Christine Lind Hage
2016 Candidate for President-Elect of ALA
Director, Rochester Hills Public Library
500 Olde Towne Road
Rochester, MI 48307-2043
248/650-7122

Raising a reader is: Talking * Singing * Reading * Writing * Playing