[Michlib-l] Last Days To Submit a "Cool Things" Proposal for Spring Institute

Jocelyn Baldwin Levin jmb.mlis at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 16:26:23 EST 2016

​*Please forgive my reposting - I want to give everyone a little reminder!
We will accept submissions until midnight, NEXT WEDNESDAY, January 13th!*

I know all of  you awesome Michigan librarians have great things to share
with other librarians from across the state. The Michigan Library
Association Spring Institute Work Group would LOVE to hear about what you
have to share!

We're accepting *"Cool Things My Library Does" *proposals now!

"Cool Things My Library Does" is a BRAND NEW option -* think of it like a
strolling poster session show-and-tell with props.* Maybe you have a great
way to organize all those storytime puppets and supplies that you think
other libraries could implement. Or you have a super cool circulating
collection that is unusual and successful. PLEASE submit a proposal to
share your great ideas during an informal reception at SI.

Email me with ANY questions: jmb.mlis at gmail.com

​
*​**Submission form*

*https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1M40mTUHOz9pAipBiVQMUPgbrMVHaKPoj42TtfyHZuEg/viewform?usp=send_form*
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1M40mTUHOz9pAipBiVQMUPgbrMVHaKPoj42TtfyHZuEg/viewform?usp=send_form>
​

*CALL FOR PROPOSALS*

*MLA Spring Institute: Growing, Networking, and Inspiring!*
April 14 – 15, 2016
Kellogg Hotel and Conference Center, East Lansing, Michigan
The 2016 MLA Spring Institute Conference theme is *Growing, Networking, and
Inspiring,* and those are exactly the experiences that the event will focus
on. All topics are welcome to be proposed. Examples could be, but not
limited to: technology, SRP, early lit, programming, collections, and
management. The conference will work to achieve the following goals and
outcomes through its programs:

●   *Provide quality professional development for those serving youth (ages
0 – 18) in libraries.*

○   Attendees will gain at least three ideas that they can apply or adapt
at their libraries.

●   *Enable an opportunity for those serving youth (ages 0 – 18) in
libraries to exchange relevant, actionable knowledge through networking.*

○ Attendees will connect with new professional contacts with whom they can
exchange ideas.

○   Attendees will build professional relationships that will provide
future support.

●   *Revitalize and inspire those serving youth (ages 0 – 18) in libraries.*

○   Attendees will return to their library with renewed enthusiasm for
their work.
*NEW:  Call for Cool Things My Library Does Proposals*

*Submissions welcome through Monday, January 11, 2016*

Do you have a great project you’ve implemented at your library, but don’t
think the information would fill a whole breakout session time slot?

Would you like to share your unique programming ideas with your peers?

Have you or your library done something so great, you have to share it with
the world?

​Please​
 submit a proposal for “Cool Things My Library Does”, a new networking
event at Spring Institute. This quick engaging presentation session will
give you an opportunity to showcase your brilliance in a comfortable small
group discussion format.

Think of it like a strolling poster session show and tell with props.

Topic examples might be unique collections, outreach programs, engaging
services or distinctive displays.

*General Guidelines*

●   Presenters are not reimbursed or compensated for session time, mileage,
or any other such item.

●   Presenters must register for the day(s) they attend Spring Institute if
they intend to stay beyond their allotted presentation time.

*Program Handouts *

●   Handouts may be posted to the MLA website before the conference. Call
for handouts will be on April 4, 2016.

●   Printed handouts will not be reproduced by MLA for the conference.
Presenters may provide handouts themselves if desired.

*Timeline (on or before)*

●   January 1
​3​
, 2016—*Final day* to submit *Cool Things My Library Does* proposals

●   January 20, 2016—*Selection notifications* emailed from MLA to
presenters

●   April 4, 2016—*Handouts received* for posting on MLA website

●   April 14-15, 2016—*Spring Institute Conference*, Kellogg Hotel and
Conference Center, East Lansing, MI

*Questions*

Please feel free to contact the work group chair (Jocelyn Levin at
jmb.mlis at gmail.com) with any questions you may have prior to your
submission.

*​​*
*Submission form*

*https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1M40mTUHOz9pAipBiVQMUPgbrMVHaKPoj42TtfyHZuEg/viewform?usp=send_form*
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1M40mTUHOz9pAipBiVQMUPgbrMVHaKPoj42TtfyHZuEg/viewform?usp=send_form>

​​
Jocelyn (Baldwin) Levin, MLIS
​Chairperson, MLA Spring Institute Work Group
​

​Youth Services Librarian
Baldwin Public Library​
​300 West Merrill Street