[Michlib-l] SB 571

David Conklin dconklin at thegdl.org
Mon Jan 11 13:05:10 EST 2016

Pamela,

Thank you for sharing this letter. GDL has an upcoming election on Aug. 2nd of this year.  After reading the letter it appears to me that there still remains plenty of latitude for interpretation.

"The new language in subsection (3) only applies when local governmental entities use taxpayer resources to distribute mass communications concerning ballot questions. As I interpret this language, it is intended to  prohibit communications that are plain attempts to influence voters without using words like "vote for" or "support."

This can be plainly interpreted to include any promotions by the library to promote service and even just reading in general.  GDL has already purchased billboards to promote reading and library use this year.  Where before SB571 (when the ads were purchased) we were able to include anything other than a vote yes message, now any advertisement we have could be interpreted as "...plain attempts to influence voters without using words like "vote for" or "support."

I remain very concerned.

:o/
Dave

David Conklin