[Michlib-l] SB 571

Mutch, Andrew AMutch at waterfordmi.gov
Tue Jan 12 09:26:45 EST 2016

Melissa,

There are a lot of things I find troublesome about the recently passed legislation. However, there's nothing in the language of the law that would prohibit staff from answering questions about a ballot proposal over the phone or via e-mail or in person. I know many in the library world have the impression that this creates a blanket restriction on communications about local ballot proposals. It does not. The relevant language is:

"a public body, or a person acting for a public body, shall not, during the period 60 days before an election in which a local ballot question appears on a ballot, use public funds or resources for a communication by means of radio, television, mass mailing, or prerecorded telephone message if that communication references a local ballot question and is targeted to the relevant electorate where the local ballot question appears on the ballot."

The prohibition applies to the following forms of communication:

-          Radio

-          Television

-          Mass mailing (defined in the law as "mailing by United States mail or facsimile of more than 500 pieces of mail matter of an identical or substantially similar nature within any 30-day period"

-          Prerecorded telephone message

when that communication references "a local ballot question" and the communication is "targeted to the relevant electorate where the local ballot question appears on the ballot".

You can see from that list that nowhere does it reference one-on-one communications. It also does not preclude the library from setting out informational flyers in the library or elsewhere in the community. There's zero reference to electronic communication so the library should be able to use the library's web site, social networking sites and even mass e-mailing to communicate with voters. David Conklin raised the concern about billboards. There's nothing in the language as it is currently written that would make it apply to billboards.

I would fully agree that the new law is overly restrictive and unnecessary as advocacy was already prohibited. But as I read it, I don't think it applies as broadly as some people believe and in some areas, like electronic communications, public bodies are still free to share information without worrying about these newly imposed restrictions.

My 2 cents - I'm not an attorney!

Andrew Mutch
My comments are my opinion and may not reflect those of my employer.