[Michlib-l] SB 571

arrasm at charlottelibrary.org arrasm at charlottelibrary.org
Wed Jan 13 13:51:29 EST 2016

Ok, I wasn't going to join in but now I'm curious if anyone else noticed the
same thing. To me, the new language is only prohibiting the "use of public
funds or resources" for communication. If, say, your Millage Committee is
paying for a mass-mailing or some other form of communication with their own
funds that they acquired by fundraising or whatever, then I don't see it as
a violation. No "public funds" were used.  Granted, I didn't think a public
body could use their own funds anyway so this "new" law seems a bit
redundant.

In addition, as long as the communication doesn't specifically "reference a
local ballot question" and just gives out factual information regarding the
library, I don't see that it violates this "new" law either. Again, a bit of
redundancy.

In short, I believe that as long as public funds are not used for the
communication, any communication may be done. If public funds are used, then
the communication can't reference a local ballot question. That is my take
anyway. Granted, I'm not an attorney either.

Am I missing something?

Marlena Arras

Director of Financial Services

Charlotte Community Library