[Michlib-l] Illegal downloading

Nathan Gray nathan at statetransition.com
Thu Jan 14 19:04:40 EST 2016

Most of the movie houses only know through actually participating in
seeding the downloads themselves.  They become part of the traffic, and it
allows them to see who is trafficking what (kinda shady).  While the ISPs
really aren't interested and would probably lose a lot of business if they
took that active an eye on what their user traffic was doing

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 6:18 PM, Mark Ehle <mehle at willardlibrary.org> wrote:

> It's happened to us a number of times over the years. There is not a whole
> lot you can do about it, because a lot of P2P traffic  uses port 80. If you
> block port 80 that pretty much kills the internet for folks. The only thing
> I can think of doing would be to apply some sort of bandwidth throttling
> that would make it too painful to download mass quantities of anything.
>
> We just a couple of days ago talked to our Merit reps about this very
> subject and asked them if there was anything they could to to help on their
> end. They said they would try to find out but did not sound hopeful. It's
> interesting that the movie houses can tell what's going on but the ISP's
> can't. .
>
> Once we had to ban a person's device from our wireless network because we
> received 4 warnings in a month. We looked at our wireless logs and noticed
> that one device had downloaded 1.4 terabytes when the next closest one was
> 400 meg. After we blocked the offending device from accessing our network
> the warnings stopped. We don't know if it was coincidental or not.
>
> The Merit reps said that large networks like universities and such get
> these warnings all the time and to their knowledge, no one has ever been
> dinged for it beyond the warning.
>
> Hope this helps -
>
> Mark Ehle
> Computer Support Librarian
> Willard Library
> Battle Creek, MI
> office: (269) 968-8166
>
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 3:38 PM, Pamela Spoor <pspoor at manisteelibrary.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone received notices from the Internet Service Provider of patrons
>> downloading movie files illegally?   Using Bit Torrent or other file
>> sharing applications? If so, what is the organization doing to combat this,
>> if anything?

Nathaniel Gray
Marketing and Sales Associate
State Transition