[Michlib-l] Using Music to Promote Libraries

Klein,Elizabeth kleine at cadl.org
Fri Jul 8 17:15:52 EDT 2016

Hi MichLib,

Here at CADL we've been using music promotions to get the word out about our library system. Currently, we're running a promotion where patrons can win a guitar signed by country star Dierks Bentley - we're calling it our "Star Guitar" promotion. To get the word out about the contest, we hosted a "site takeover" on local radio station's sites. Attached is an example.

We've also looked at local concerts and festivals as opportunities for promotion. Using hoopla (the digital service I'm sure many of your library systems also have), we asked patrons to check out digital albums from the service to be entered to win tickets to Common Ground Music Festival. The more items the patron checked out, the better their odds of winning tickets. The contest also improved our hoopla usage. We have had 7,379 hoopla checkouts this year, as opposed to 3,018 for the same period last year.

Last, our "Everything Right Here" ad campaign takes inspiration from local Lansing musician Taylor Taylor's music. She acts as a face of our campaign in certain outlets, appearing in commercials for the library, like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y51KCFcqcg&feature=youtu.be

Is anyone else using music to promote their library? We want to hear your ideas!

Eli

Eli R. Klein
Online Content/Social Media & PR Coordinator
Capital Area District Libraries - Administration
401 S. Capitol Ave., Lansing, MI 48933
517-367-6355 | kleine at cadl.org<mailto:kleine at cadl.org>
www.cadl.org<http://www.cadl.org/> | facebook.com/cadlibrary | twitter.com/cadl