[Michlib-l] NAEP Project Seeking Applicants

Kary Askew kaskew at milibraries.org
Tue Jul 12 09:23:14 EDT 2016

NAEP, often referred to as The Nation's Report Card, tests 4th and 8th grade students at a sampling of American schools on odd numbered years - such as 2017.  My purpose in contacting you is that our ideal applicants to do this testing are retired teachers and librarians.  We need about 70 more people from across Michigan for this project.

I attached some information on this project for your perusal.

The usual questions asked are:
Why retired teachers and librarians?  Because we are most familiar with how schools work and have years of experience working with children.
When does the testing take place?  The testing window is for six weeks - beginning on the third Monday of January and ending on the first Friday of March.
What does it pay?  Pay is determined by the Federal government pay scale with  Assessment Administrators paid an hourly wage, including travel time and mileage reimbursement, based on their county of residence.  The exact amount is given at the time of making application.

We need your assistance with this project.  I presume that you might have more questions.  Please do not hesitate to call me ... best on my cell phone.
Your speed and cooperation in assisting us will be greatly appreciated.

             Ed Metzl
NAEP Hiring Supervisor
Office:  847.831.5957
Cell:  847.525.3521

2017 Print/Web Ad

Temporary Job Opportunities:  Assessment Administrators
We are seeking motivated individuals who are committed to excellence and experienced in working with primary and secondary school students. Westat is recruiting for the 2017 National Assessment of Educational Progress, also known as NAEP or The Nation's Report Card, for the National Center for Education Statistics, which is part of the U.S. Department of Education.

The position involves conducting assessment sessions with 4th- and 8th-grade students using touch-enabled tablets in participating schools across the country.  You will work on a team of 3-5 people. This opportunity is ideal for retired educators.

Your duties will include:

*         Setting up 25 assessment tablets in the testing location

*         Checking student attendance and reading directions aloud to students from a prepared script

*         Monitoring the assessment sessions and answering student questions using a NAEP tablet

*         Ensuring quality control is achieved by  adhering to a standard set of procedures

*         Assisting in the packing of assessment equipment

Westat provides complete paid training for all job responsibilities, paid time and mileage reimbursement for local driving to and from schools, weekly paychecks with direct deposit available, and opportunities for advancement based on performance.
Qualified applicants must:

*         Have a high school diploma or GED;

*         Be willing to complete background check requirements, including an FBI fingerprint check;

*         Have access to computer, broadband Internet connection, and personal, private email account;

*         Have a valid (current) driver's license that is not under suspension and regular access to an insured, reliable vehicle to travel to and from schools;

*         Be willing and able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds (which included technical equipment) and be able to climb stairs if needed with or without reasonable accommodations;

*         Be available to work 20 to 30 hours a week, during daytime hours, when work is available, from January 30 to March 10, 2017; and

*         Complete required components of training, including an online course to be completed independently, and a one-day in-person meeting during January 2017.

The following criteria are preferred:

*         Prior experience working in an educational setting or working with children

*         Prior experience working in a team environment

*         Excellent verbal and written communication skills

*         Ability to work cooperatively as part of a team

*         Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment

*         Willingness to travel overnight, if necessary

Print Version
This opportunity is a part-time, temporary position with limited benefits. To apply for this position, visit our website at www.westat.com/CAREERS<http://www.westat.com/CAREERS>  and select "Search Field Data Collection Jobs." Search for your state, find the NAEP Assessment Administrator position, and select the "apply to job" button.

Web Version
This opportunity is a part-time, temporary position with limited benefits. To apply for this position, select the link to our Online Application. Search for your state, find the NAEP Assessment Administrator position, and select the "apply to job" button.

For more information email NAEPrecruit at westat.com<mailto:NAEPrecruit at westat.com>  or call 1-888-237-8036.

WESTAT
EOE

Kary Askew Garcia
Communications and Membership Manager
Michigan Library Association
3410 Belle Chase Way, Suite 100
Lansing, MI  48911
Phone:  517.394.2774 ext.  225
Fax:  517.394.2675
kaskew at milibraries.org<mailto:kaskew at milibraries.org>
www.milibraries.org

Registration is now open for MLA 2016 Annual Conference.
Join us October 26-28 at the Lansing Center.
See you there!
Register<http://members.mla.lib.mi.us/Scripts/4Disapi.dll/4DCGI/events/register.html?Action=Register&ConfID_W=177>
More information<http://www.milibraries.org/prof-development-networking/annual-conference/info/>

Join the conversation: #MLA16AC