[Michlib-l] Experience with IDDDYSRCC

Katie Ester esterk at libcoop.net
Thu Jun 2 10:33:34 EDT 2016

Hi Pam,

I thought it looked legit too. It's not, apparently. My teen librarian
recognized this young man's name (Aaron Yang) immediately and said that
there has been much discussion in Teen Librarian facebook groups about
this "kid" and his apparent scam. One commenter on the facebook page
Teen Services Underground said that they'd been getting this same
letter/email since their library created a myspace page years ago.
Participants in several FB groups have claimed that when told NO, the
guy presenting himself as Aaron Yang presses the issue, spouts legalese,
asks for the Director or a supervisor. Most recently, there was a push
to report this to YALSA, who responded that it was out of their purview.
He hits libraries nationwide with many, many librarians reporting in
that they've gotten a letter or email from him. Many have gotten
repeated attempts over a span of years.

For those who are wondering, here is the complete text of his email:

 Hi,

My name is Aaron Yang and I would to participate in the summer reading
program for teens. Unfortunately, I live in the state of California, so
I would really appreciate it if you can make an exception for me.

The main reason I want to participate is because of IDDDYSRCC USA. It is
for I Double Dog Dare You Summer Reading Challenge Contest USA. It was
created 2 years ago by me and my friends. We had a semi-boring summer in
2014 and I came up with the idea. We all did the dare and I came in 2nd
place last summer. It was so much fun and we kept doing it every year.
Basically, we google search all the libraries in the USA and email every
single one.

What is IDDDYSRCC?

IDDDYSRCC is a contest, or dare, that was created by 2 middle schoolers
in 2014. Now in high school, the dare has continued. The dare has been
moved into a contest and there are now 5 people in it. Each year, a king
and queen of IDDDYSRCC. In order to be eligible to be in the contest,
members must be first initiated. There will be a test to see the ability
of the member's common sense and credibility. During the contest, the
contesters must outnumber the number of the libraries that the king and
queen are doing. For example, if I did 5 libraries and the king did 7, I
lose. These libraries must not be in California.

How does the point system/rules work?

At the beginning of the contest, each person is to keep a secret on how
many libraries that person is doing. Everyone will reveal their secrets
at the awards dinner and party. Each member must at least email 2
libraries in each state of USA. This year, Canada is added for more
amusement. Here is the point system:

1 point if the state is on the west coast of USA, excluding California.

2 points if state is located in the mountain regions

3 for midwestern states

4 for east coast states

5 for Hawaii, Alaska, or Canada

Additional points:

2 points if you win a prize drawing at a library on the west coast

3 if you win a prize drawing at a library in mountain regions

4 for midwestern area

5 for east coast

6 for Hawaii and Alaska, AND 7 total plus the 5 if library is located in
Canada.

10 points automatically if you win the grand prize at a library, counts
only if you receive it! 20 for Canada!!!!

Cant cajole a library to mail things? Beg them to mail at least
something small, must have library name or address either on the item or
envelope,box,package,etc.. and receive 5 points for trying. 5 for USA,
10 for Canada.

Thanks,
Aaron

---