[Michlib-l] Looking for Feedback on Revised Guiding Principles

Marsh, Nyama N.Marsh at wfblibrary.org
Tue Mar 22 13:19:34 EDT 2016

Hello Everyone,

You were all so helpful in providing feedback on our revised Mission, I am hoping you can provide feedback on our revised Guiding Principles. At the top is the Current set and below is the Proposed set.

Current WFB Public Library Guiding Principles
Three core strategies that drive and inspire our Action Plan as set forth by the Library Board of Trustees and implemented by the Library Director and Library Staff.
Access
We will:
*      strive for excellence in building and maintaining a balanced collection that reflects both classic and popular materials, is easily accessed by all age groups, and is valued by the community.
*      provide for material requests and information outside the library's resources with the use of interlibrary loan, database retrieval and other reliable technology.
*      embrace technology trends that enhance the lives of our patrons.
Service
We will:
*      make patron service a top priority and hire and retain well qualified, professional staff that are friendly, approachable, and identifiable.
*      be proactive in soliciting suggestions for service, hours, material and programming.
*      participate in ongoing continuing education for staff that leads to job improvement and performance.
*      provide regularly scheduled programming and event programming for all ages that is educational and/or entertaining .
Community
We will:
*      provide a building that is a welcoming place for all who enter.
*      be a community center engaging all patrons for the exchange of ideas and information.
*      be an active partner with other local organizations in the community.
*      be responsible stewards of resources of the Village of Whitefish Bay.
Proposed WFB Public Library Guiding Principles
*      Provide a welcoming place for all who enter
*      Offer a well-maintained, hospitable space with a warm, inviting atmosphere
*      Deliver superior service to all patrons
*      Employ well-qualified, professional staff who are friendly, knowledgeable and approachable
*      Involve patrons in their library ownership by encouraging input on programming, materials, resources and hours
*      Interconnect and inspire our community
*      Engage and connect people for the exchange of ideas and information
*      Promote a lifelong love of learning through educational materials and programming across all ages
*      Enrich the lives of patrons through creative, cultural, entertaining and informational programs
*      Seek out partnering opportunities with organizations in the community for programming, ideas, feedback and funding
*      Be flexible, creative and forward-looking
*      Adapt to and be respectful of the needs, interests and cultures of the Whitefish Bay community
*      Strive for innovative thinking in our search for effective solutions to current and future challenges
*      Embrace technology trends that enhance the lives of our patrons and the services provided to them
*      Support an informed citizenry
*      Create an environment that encourages the gathering of information
*      Assemble a collection that comprises multiple sources and presents a variety of viewpoints
*      Ensure easy access to all materials
*      Offer an exceptional workplace
*      Define clear and reasonable expectations for performance
*      Foster a collaborative work environment
*      Welcome creativity and encourage initiative
*      Solicit ideas from employees to improve work environment and to attain library goals
*      Enable ongoing staff professional development
*      Pursue a measured and measurable approach
*      Focus on attainable goals that yield positive results
*      Tangible: Program attendance, circulation, new users, survey responses, grants, donations
*      Intangible: Reputation of excellence, community pride, recognition, goodwill
*      Be a responsible steward of the resources of the Village of Whitefish Bay
*      Build and maintain a balanced collection that is relevant to and valued by the community
*      Reflects both classic and contemporary materials
*      Available to all age groups
*      Responsive to ongoing community needs and preferences
*      Utilize creative, cost-effective means to fulfill requests outside the WFBPL's resources
*      Forge outside funding partnerships, as required, to execute our vision for the future

Thank you and have a wonderful day,
Nyama

Nyama Y. Marsh
Library Director
n.marsh at wfblibrary.org<mailto:n.marsh at wfblibrary.org>
414-755-6551 (direct line)

Whitefish Bay Public Library
5420 North Marlborough Drive
Whitefish Bay, WI 53217
414-964-4380 (main line)
"There are many ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all." ~Jacqueline Kennedy
"Leaders don't force people to follow - they invite them on a journey." ~ Charles Lauer