[Michlib-l] National Readathon Day: 21 May 2016

Steven K. Bowers sbowers at wayne.edu
Wed May 18 07:23:07 EDT 2016

[http://ala.informz.net/ala/data/images/readathon-facebook-cover-revised-ecrr-lt-logo.png]

Please join us for National Readathon Day 2016 on Saturday, May 21, 2016, and enjoy the opportunity to generate excitement amongst readers of all ages, and support youth literacy. The transformational power of reading is fundamental to the value that libraries provide to our communities, and we hope that we can count on you to participate.

Here's how to join in the fun:

Over the next five days, use the hashtag #Readathon2016 to spread the word. Tell your friends how you plan to celebrate, or challenge them to see who can read more on the big day. Visit the Readathon Share page<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT01NjA1NjA2JnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTgzODUmbGk9MzUzNjg1NTY/index.html> for shareable images, videos, and GIFs, and be sure to follow the hashtag to see how other readers like you will be celebrating and supporting childhood literacy.

Make a commitment to support early childhood literacy. We are incredibly excited to let you know that readers everywhere will be able to contribute to #Readathon2016, through our newly launched Donate<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT01NjA1NjA2JnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTgzODUmbGk9MzUzNjg1NTc/index.html> campaign on Facebook.

All Facebook users will be able to use the Donate<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT01NjA1NjA2JnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTgzODUmbGk9MzUzNjg1NTg/index.html> button now available on the ALA Facebook page<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT01NjA1NjA2JnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTgzODUmbGk9MzUzNjg1NjA/index.html>, which seamlessly facilitates swift and secure online contributions to National Readathon Day on the Facebook platform. Users will also be able to share their love of reading by updating their Facebook profile picture with a custom National Readathon Day profile picture frame, available on the ALA<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT01NjA1NjA2JnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTgzODUmbGk9MzUzNjg1NjA/index.html> and Penguin Random House<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT01NjA1NjA2JnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTgzODUmbGk9MzUzNjg1NjE/index.html> Facebook pages. In addition, gifts continue to be accepted through https://www.firstgiving.com/5066/national-readathon-day<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT01NjA1NjA2JnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTgzODUmbGk9MzUzNjg1NjI/index.html>. Encourage your social media networks to donate, too!

All funds raised leading up to and during #Readathon2016 will benefit the ALA's Every Child Ready to Read initiative, which promotes literacy development in children from birth to age 5 through programs in public libraries nationwide, and Libraries Transform, ALA's public awareness and advocacy campaign.

You can make a difference. Please join us for #Readathon2016. Remember to tweet, share and post using the #Readathon2016 hashtag from now through May 21.

[http://ala.informz.net/ala/data/images/sari%20headshot%20final.jpg]

Best,

 [http://ala.informz.net/ala/data/images/sari's%20signature%20editted.jpg]

Sari Feldman