[Michlib-l] Author visits

Barbara Kriigel bkriigel at umich.edu
Tue Nov 15 08:57:07 EST 2016

We have an annual Young Authors' Festival where a a children's or YA author
is invited to speak.

In 2013 we had Matt Faulkner <http://mattfaulkner.com/> speak at our first
annual Young Authors' Festival.  He is both an illustrator and author, and
is a phenomenal speaker.  We have booked him again for next fall, along
with his wife Kris Remenar; her first children's book, "Groundhog's
Dilemma," was published last year and illustrated by Matt..  I contacted
him directly without going through an agent.

Last year we had Gary Schmidt <http://www.hmhbooks.com/schmidt/> as our
speaker. His books tend to be middle school to YA.  He was also very
engaging and interesting. We went through his agent, Hayley Gonnason at
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.   Hayley.Gonnason at hmhco.com

Toni Buzzeo <http://www.tonibuzzeo.com/HOME.html> was also a wonderful
speaker for us in 2104. We booked her directly.

This last week-end, Christopher Paul Curtis
<http://www.hmhbooks.com/schmidt/> spoke at our festival and everyone loved
him. Our bookstore ran out of books to sell.  8-(  We booked him directly.

Just a warning that honorariums can be high for those who have won major
awards/honors.  Of the authors we have booked, Matt was the most reasonable.

Barbara Kriigel
Assoc. Director, User & Technical Services
Mardigian Library
University of Michigan-Dearborn
4901 Evergreen
Dearborn, MI  48128