[Michlib-l] CPL Job Posting
sharmas at cantonpl.org
Tue Nov 15 12:29:17 EST 2016
Canton Public Library currently has a new position open with our Information Services Department (now through November 30, 2016.) Following are the main details of the position along with the Job description and requirements.
Job Title: Information Services Intern
Supervisor: Rebecca Havenstein-Coughlin, Department Head - Information Services
Starting Wage: $12.36 to $ 14.00 per hour
Scheduled Hours: Eighteen (18) hours per week
Apply to: Marian Nicholson, Department Head - Business Services
Email: nicholsonm at cantonpl.org<mailto:nicholsonm at cantonpl.org>
Application Deadline: 9:00 pm on Wednesday, November 30, 2016
Application packets must include: a cover letter, an official CPL employment application (available at cantonpl.org<https://www.cantonpl.org/sites/default/files/CPL_Employment_Application.pdf>) and a resume. Only complete application packets received or postmarked by 9:00 pm Wednesday, November 30, 2016 will be considered. Incomplete application packets will not be reviewed.
Under the management of the Department Head Information Services, the Librarian Intern is responsible for any of the following: Reference, readers' advisory, roving, programming, cataloging, processing, collection development support, or special projects. Librarian Intern positions are reserved for graduate students currently enrolled in a master's-level library science program at an ALA-accredited university. This position is classified as a temporary part-time position and is non-exempt from overtime and provides no benefits afforded to employees classified as "regular". The nature of the work requires daytime, evening, and weekend hours.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Provide Reference, Readers' Advisory, and Roving Services to the public:
o Accurately and efficiently answer patron questions in various forms
o Assist and train patrons in the navigation of the library website and the library's online services
o Assist patrons with self-checkout stations and other library equipment
o Respond to patron questions regarding their library account, including holds, interlibrary loan, program registration, and account issues, following established policies and procedures to select appropriate solutions and communicate options to the patron
o Demonstrate and troubleshoot the use of equipment, PCs, and related software as needed
o Locate and retrieve library materials requested by patrons according to established procedures
o Perform reader's advisory by suggesting age-appropriate materials to patrons
o Maintain neat and orderly library appearance
o Assist at all public service desks as needed
o Assist with checkout, check-in, and shelving functions as needed, following established guidelines and procedures
o Greet and assist patrons throughout the entire library, assessing patron needs and referring as needed
o Refer patron queries and issues beyond the Librarian Intern's scope of authority to the Librarian-in-Charge or library administration as appropriate
* Assist Librarian or Program Specialist with programs for patrons
* Selects, develops, and maintains assigned collections
* Assist the Librarian with collection development and maintenance tasks.
* Other Duties and Responsibilities
o Compile, review and/or interpret statistical data
o Independently or with others, research, recommend, implement and monitor projects as assigned
o Serve on workgroups/committees and participate in library initiatives as assigned
o Stay informed of library news and events via review of all forms of library communication: website, email, SharePoint, library newsletter and blog. Contribute content as appropriate
o Enforce library policies using a polite and professional approach
o Accept special assignments or duties in support of the library's goals and objectives
* Current enrollment in a library science program from an ALA-accredited school
* One year of experience in a customer service environment
* Working knowledge of common computer applications, including Microsoft Office and the Internet
* Punctuality and dependability
* Consistent display of public service attitude that reflects the library's values
* Ability to complete special projects while maintaining routine duties
* Knowledge of library operations and services, including an understanding of and adherence to fundamental principles of open access to library materials and the privacy rights of patrons
* Ability to exercise initiative and independent judgment
* Ability to maintain a calm atmosphere, ensure safety, and respond to emergencies
* Ability to persuade, negotiate and resolve conflict
* Ability to work with patrons of varied backgrounds, ages, and abilities
* Written and verbal communication skills at the level typically acquired with enrollment in a Master's degree program
* Coursework related to area of focus/department
* Prior professional experience in a public library
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL FUNCTIONS
* Ability to lift and carry boxes up to 25 lbs. and push carts weighing up to 200 lbs.
* Ability to sit, stand, and walk for long periods of time, and the ability to bend, reach, stoop, or crouch when assisting patrons
* Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing which permits the employee to communicate in writing and verbally
* Sufficient vision which permits the employee to produce and review a wide variety of materials in both electronic and hard copy form
* Ability to work effectively under stressful conditions in a fast-paced environment
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. This job description is not a contract between the library and the employee. The library reserves the right to revise this job description at its discretion.
The Canton Public Library is an EEO employer.
Administrative Assistant-Business Services
sharmas at cantonpl.org<mailto:nicholsonm at cantonpl.org>
Canton Public Library<http://www.cantonpl.org/>
1200 S. Canton Center Rd., Canton, MI 48188
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 2659 bytes
More information about the Michlib-l