[Michlib-l] Gifting PTO

Ryan Deery rdeery at alleganlibrary.org
Mon Nov 21 11:30:05 EST 2016

Hello Fellow Librarians,

I am emailing from a library that operates with a use it or lose it PTO
system within the calendar year and have an employee with leftover PTO time
that isn't planning on using it. This generous individual would like to
give some of that PTO to another employee that, due to a family hardship,
used up their PTO earlier in the year. I want to make this happen but am
curious how other libraries have dealt with this. Specifically, the two
questions I have are: do you limit how much time can be gifted and do you
factor in differences in pay grade and if so how? I assume their are other
issues I am not considering so if you currently allow this practice or did
in the past would you please email me off list with things to consider as
well as policy/procedure examples.

Thanks,

Ryan Deery
Director