[Michlib-l] Holiday Closings

Stanczak, Cindy cstanczak at albionlibrary.org
Thu Oct 13 18:27:40 EDT 2016

It really is a perfect storm of holidays this year.  Our full-time and
part-time staff have 2 paid holidays in November (1 floater for Veterans
Day), 3 paid holidays in December (3 floaters), and 2 paid holidays in
January (1 floater + MLK, Jr Day).  Here's our policy, which we've slowly
been refining over the last few years.

*Holiday Pay*
Holiday pay is compensation paid to regular full-time and regular part-time
employees for time during which work would normally be performed, the work
having been suspended by reason of a general holiday.

The Albion District Library recognizes the following holidays:

New Year's Day
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday
Presidents Day
Easter
Floating Holiday
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Veterans Day
Thanksgiving Day
Christmas Eve
Christmas Day
New Year's Eve

Regular part-time and full-time employees shall be paid for observed
holidays which fall on days for which they would have been scheduled to
work, and will be compensated the number of hours for which they are
scheduled to work on that day.

Should a paid holiday fall on a day when Albion District Library is
otherwise closed (i.e., Friday or Sunday), regular full-time and part-time
employees may request one regularly scheduled day of holiday leave within
the calendar month of said holiday. Should a paid holiday fall on a
Saturday, full-time and part-time employees not otherwise regularly
scheduled for that day may request one regularly scheduled day of holiday
leave within the calendar month of said holiday. Those part-time employees
regularly scheduled to work on a Saturday will receive holiday pay for
those hours not worked due to the Library closing for that day. The
Director will coordinate holiday leave requests so that service to the
public is not interrupted. Holiday pay will not be granted in a pay period
if creating a situation of overtime hours.

An employee who is scheduled or who agrees to work on one of the designated
holidays shall take another day off during the calendar month.

Holidays occurring during an employee's vacation period, bereavement leave,
sick leave, or other approved leave periods are compensable as holidays.
Holidays occurring during layoff, leave of absence, or suspension are not
compensable.

Hope this helps!  Let me know if you have any other questions on our policy.

Cynthia Stanczak
Library Director
Albion District Library
501 S. Superior St.
Albion, MI  49224
(517) 629-3993

Albion District Library: Transforming Minds, Changing Lives.
Proudly serving our community since 1919.
Online at www.albionlibrary.org, or find us on Facebook!