[Michlib-l] Paper Order Lists Now Electronic Collection Development Lists: End Of Old Era, Beginning Of New Epoch at TLN!

Jim Flury jflury at tln.lib.mi.us
Tue Sep 6 14:27:39 EDT 2016

All,

You may remember last September's "big news" from OCLC, concerning their sunset of printed catalog cards effective October 1, 2015. Today I am pleased to announce a similar and certainly no less significant (to us anyway) end of one era, and the transition into a new epoch, at TLN, that being the cessation of the printing of our paper order lists, or as we have referred to them in TLN/WOLF circles for as long as I've worked here, "the list." TLN has offered its librarian prepared, monthly, electronic collection development lists, including the printed lists, as a menu service to its member libraries (and some SLC libraries, too) for a number of years. The electronic service continues to the present day, and will do so into the future. Going much further back in history, at least to the mid-1960's and perhaps even earlier, TLN and its predecessor organizations Wayne Oakland Library Federation, Wayne County Federated Library System, and Wayne County Library made available printed copies of its order lists (the adult list was produced every three weeks and the juvenile and young adult lists every six weeks in those years) to member libraries, as well as under contract to Suburban Library Cooperative and its predecessor organizations, Library Cooperative of Macomb and Macomb County Library. We pledged to continue the paper order list service alongside the electronic version until all libraries made the decision to switch to the electronic edition. That transition has now taken place, and hence effective October 1, 2016 the printed paper order lists will be no more. Long live the electronic collection development lists!

So at TLN (and SLC), effective October 1, 2016, out with the paper order lists and in with the exclusively electronic collection development lists!

Jim

Jim Flury
Technical Services Manager
The Library Network