[Michlib-l] FOIA Requests

Membiela, Clare (MDE) MembielaC at michigan.gov
Wed Sep 7 18:15:30 EDT 2016

Hi Nannette:

Please see attached. Let me know if you would like any further explanation.

Unfortunately there  does not seem to be much that you can do in this situation under FOIA other than to know what the law does and does NOT require, and  have really good rules in place and then apply them strictly and evenly. The law tends to be very much on  the requestors’ side except in really specific circumstances.

If a real problem develops, your safest recourse is to consult your attorney, who can provide you with options based on the particular circumstances of the situation. Your attorney could also review your rules and see if there is any tweaking that could be done to assist you in these types of situations.

I hope the attached helps
Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist with!

Clare

Clare D. Membiela, MLS, J.D.
Library of Michigan
www.michigan.gov/libraryofmichigan<http://www.michigan.gov/libraryofmichigan>
517-335-8132
MembielaC at michigan.gov
Information within this message is for educational and informational purposes only. No information in this message constitutes, nor should be interpreted as, legal advice or opinion.

Our collective efforts can help make Michigan a Top 10 education state in 10 years!  Here are the goals and strategies: http://mi.gov/top10in10/