[Michlib-l] Tween Spaces

Amelia Nolan anolan at sjcity.com
Thu Sep 8 12:30:16 EDT 2016

Hi Janelle,
we do have a tween space here at our library.  It is in the back of the Children's Room and is visible and not secluded-no doors or walls to separate it but a pergola surrounds it, so it is defined.  We have the Tween music selection back there along with a CD Player so they can play music (there is a set of headphones if they want to listen privately) and we house our board and card games back there.  Our Friends group donated the $$$ to purchase three big red bean bags and we have two brightly colored blue chairs also. We strung indoor lights around the top of the pergola that matches our beach theme.

It is a real treat to see the tweens go back there and play Twister and play music or bring school projects back there to work on. I feel that it has given them a "hang-out" and is far enough removed from where we have the train table and the younger kid books that it makes them feel that they aren't being lumped in with the little ones.

That area was not built specifically for these reasons but once our Tween programming began, we thought it would be cool to have a space for them and we could do this without spending a ton.

Amy Nolan

Children's Librarian

St. Joseph Public Library

269-983-7167