[Michlib-l] Skype for board meetings bylaws

Steven Bowers sbowers at wayne.edu
Thu Apr 20 10:39:39 EDT 2017

Last I reviewed ( a couple years ago?) Michigan law allows remote participation in meetings via unspecified technology.  It explicitly does not allow proxy participation (i.e. sending someone else in your stead), which is what some of our Board wanted.  I think it is good to look at the law and you could either mimic the language or write your Bylaw to allow for remote participation by whatever technological means the Board (or chair of a group) specifies for a meeting.  You could specifically state Skype but I like to leave it generic so that if Google Hang Outs or some other technology becomes what your Board prefers you do not have to go back and change the Bylaws again.

I can try and track down the law again if you want.  I just went online.

-Steve

Steven K. Bowers
Executive Director
Detroit Area Library Network

ALA Councilor for the Michigan Library Association
MLA Board of Directors, President Elect

www.dalnet.org<http://www.dalnet.org>

"DALNET is a community of libraries working together to provide access to information for research, cultural enrichment, and lifelong learning opportunities."