[Michlib-l] A few youth & teen updates...

Lancaster, Catherine (MDE) LancasterC5 at michigan.gov
Mon Aug 7 15:40:03 EDT 2017

YALSA Institute: Teen-Centered & Teen-Driven Library Services
The Library of Michigan is pleased to announce that we are hosting a YALSA Institute in Michigan this September. Librarians and public library staff who work with teens are encouraged to attend one of three sessions.  Thanks to the support from the Institute of Museum and Library Services the only cost is a $25 registration fee. Space is still open for our Gaylord located workshop<https://www.solutionwhere.com/WW/Aspx/Public/Search/ShowSession.aspx?sessionId=uvlh45mwu4uyia45ueh4nj456%2f1%2f20174%3a25%3a25+PM881&cId=67&pCId=0>.
ALSC Community Forum on Monday, August 14th 2017
Dr. Nicole A. Cooke, Jessica Anne Bratt, and ALSC President Nina Lindsay, will be hosting an ALSC Community Forum live chat on the topic Social Justice Practice in Youth Librarianship. This forum will include a live text discussion with the opportunity to ask questions to our presenters.  Circling back to this segment of the "Libraries are Not Neutral Spaces" program from 2017 Annual Conference, we will reopen this discussion on tangible practices of social justice advocacy. How do we practice talking about race and modeling inclusion in storytime?  How can we work with our colleagues in actual practice of social justice dialogue? At this Community Forum we will have a conversation in order to move from conversation, so that each of us can return to our work with a new practice.
This forum will be held on Monday, August 14th 2017, 4pm.  Members are invited to view "3 Ways to Speak English<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ6eclH7Ooo&authuser=0>" by Jamila Lyiscott and the Anderson Cooper Doll Test <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQACkg5i4AY> before the forum. Dr. Nicole A. Cooke is an Assistant Professor at the School of Information Sciences, at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, where she is also the Program Director for the Master's of Library and Information Science program. Jessica Anne Bratt is the new Youth Services Manager for the Grand Rapids Public Library. She is one of the co-founders of Libraries4BlackLives. This ALSC Community Forum will take place on Adobe Connect. ALSC members will receive an email about the forum a few days before. Members will also be able to access a link to the live forum via the ALSC website<http://www.ala.org/alsc/member-center/community-forums> with their ALA username and password. An archived webcast of the forum will be available to all ALSC members after the live session has been completed.

ALSC now accepting applications for 2018 Penguin Random House Young Readers Group Award
The Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC) and the Grants Administration Committee are now accepting online applications for the 2018 Penguin Random House Young Readers Group Awards.  This award, made possible by an annual gift from Penguin Young Readers Group<http://www.penguin.com/children/> and Random House Children's books, provides a $600 stipend for up to four children's librarians to attend their first ALA Annual Conference. The award also includes an invitation to the Newbery-Caldecott-Wilder banquet.
http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2017/08/alsc-now-accepting-applications-2018-penguin-random-house-young-readers-group
Engage Your Community with NASA Citizen Science
Two new app-based citizen science projects<http://ala.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b9b7f12a0545b1a14ef19a691&id=a7297923b3&e=cbf44b9e30> make it easy to contribute meaningful - and potentially lifesaving - data. Share eclipse observations on Aug. 21, and augment satellite-based research on mosquito habitats. To stay up to date on other NASA opportunities, join NASA's Museum Alliance<http://ala.us1.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=b9b7f12a0545b1a14ef19a691&id=7a2c29a025&e=cbf44b9e30>, a free community of practice for informal STEM educators and organizations.
NASA & Space Science Institute are actively promoting solar eclipse events<http://spacescience.org/software/libraries/map.php> on social media & in the press now.
If you want your program to be added to the map<http://spacescience.org/software/libraries/map.php>, please check to make sure it's not already listed & then send Jennifer Hampton a request with details, including your library name & address.  Jennifer's email is jhampton at spacescience.org<mailto:jhampton at spacescience.org>.  If you've not already received your glasses, they might ship directly from the factory as late as next week.

School's starting early for possibly as many as 376 Districts in Michigan: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/education/2017/07/31/michigan-schools-start-labor-day/104150010/
Want to follow up on summer reading or storytimes with patrons?  Join the Project Outcome Virtual Meeting<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdK57BWnAEJ8h5mVdG2rdU8TUt-teW3EHz4UM8YqPjRLWvDag/viewform> onThursday, August 24, 2pm EST, to find out how.
Have a good week,
Cathy Lancaster

Youth Services Coordinator
Statewide Library Services
Library of Michigan
517-335-8129
517-373-5700 f
LancasterC5 at michigan.gov<mailto:LancasterC5 at michigan.gov>
www.mi.gov/libraryofmichigan<http://www.mi.gov/libraryofmichigan>

Nourishing Michigan's Future...during school and during the summer!  Find a Summer Food Service Program site nearest you and encourage Michigan's children to Meet Up and Eat Up!    www.michigan.gov/meetupeatup<http://www.michigan.gov/meetupeatup>

[cid:image002.png at 01D2CD53.CCC38130]