[Michlib-l] eNews from HSM: Upcoming Workshop, Quick Hits, Lincoln Tour, Conference Session Proposals, Upcoming Events

Historical Society of Michigan hsm at hsmichigan.org
Fri Aug 11 08:00:10 EDT 2017

Sign up for our next History Skills Workshop!

Living in the Past: Managing Historic Houses

by Samantha Engel, The Dow Gardens

Friday, August 18 from 9 a.m. - 12 p.m.

workshop-emblem

Why are historic houses necessary to their communities? How are historic
house museums unique? Participants of this workshop will explore answers to
those questions while learning more about management, collections, and
interpretation issues specific to house museums. Other discussion topics
will include programming; maintenance and security concerns; landscaping;
and the development of effective interpretive themes, story lines, and
tours.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/workshops/>

If you are a personal member of HSM or represent an organization that itself
is a member of the Society, registration is $39.

Registration for non-members is $79 and includes a one-year HSM Individual
Level 1 membership.

New for 2017! Participants can now "attend" remotely, if they prefer,
through Zoom Video Communications and will be able to interact with the
speaker and other attendees.

For in-person attendees, refreshments will be available. Lunch is on your
own.

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/programs/workshops/> Learn more and register on
our website.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/publications/michiganhistory/>

First Female Flier in Michigan: Harriet Quimby

Harriet Quimby wanted to fly. Born in Michigan in 1875, Harriet Quimby was a
journalist who began flying lessons after attending an aviation show.

Harriet passed her flying test in 1911, becoming the first U.S. woman to
earn a pilot's license. She was also the first woman to fly the English
Channel. Sadly, Harriet died in a flying accident in 1912. Two Michigan
historical markers and the National Aviation Hall of Fame honor her memory.

Michiganders on the Road "Life of Lincoln" Tour is open for registration!

Experience an in-depth look at the life of one of America's greatest
presidents with our "Life of Lincoln" motor coach tour! The 4-day, 3-night
tour in October includes a special visit to the new Abraham Lincoln
Presidential Library and Museum in Springfield, Illinois. We'll also tour
Lincoln's New Salem State Historic Site, the Lincoln Home in Springfield,
the Lincoln Tomb in Oak Ridge Cemetery, and much more! Your guide will be
Robert Myers, our Assistant Director for Education Programs and Events. Like
all of our tours, we've planned every detail ourselves-no "off the rack"
tours for us!

The tour is from October 13-16, 2017, and is $625/person. This cost includes
all dinners and breakfasts plus one sack lunch on the bus; lodgings; and all
admissions fees, taxes, and gratuities.

Reservation deadline is September 1, 2017.

Our Michiganders on the Road motor coach tours are for HSM members only, but
if you would like to join our tours and are not currently a member, we have
an option on our registration page to add a membership to join the tour.

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/programs/michiganders-on-the-road/lincoln-tour-re
gistration/> To register for the tour, click here!

  _____

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

 <https://hsmichigan.org/store/donate/>

Calling all HSM Member Organizations!

Do you have an unusual, one-of-a-kind artifact or item in your collections?
We're looking for eligible items to include in our publications. If you
think you have a unique item of interest, let us know! Eligible items and
artifacts that belong to an HSM member organization will be featured in our
publications, along with your organization's site information.

Please e-mail editor at hsmichigan.org for more details.

Do you have a topic you'd like to present at one of our 2018 conferences?

We're looking for proposals!

For those interested in submitting a presentation,
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/conferences/sessions/> please fill out the
proposal form on our website.

We are excited to consider new proposals for 2018!

Upcoming Events From Our Members

The Waterford Historical Society presents "Summer Sundays in the Village,"
Sunday, August 20, in Waterford.

The Hanover-Horton Area Historical Society presents "26th Annual Rust 'n
Dust Days Antique Tractor and Farm Show," Saturday and Sunday, August 26-27,
in Hanover.

The Iron County Historical Society presents "Miner's Labor Day Picnic,"
Saturday, September 2, in Caspian.

The Elk Rapids Area Historical Society presents "Animals in the Civil War:
Beyond Old Abe and Traveller," Thursday, September 7, in Elk Rapids.

The Northville Historical Society presents "Northville Heritage Festival,"
Friday through Sunday, September 15-17, in Northville.

The Little Traverse Historical Society presents "Historic Home Tour,"
Saturday, September 23, in Petoskey.

The Greater West Bloomfield Historical Society presents "Aromatherapy
History," Wednesday, September 27, in Orchard Lake.

The Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum presents "7th Annual Whitefish Point: Run
for the Light 5K/10K Walk/Run," Saturday, October 14, in Paradise.

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/> For more calendar events, see our
website!

Interested in featuring an event on HSM's online calendar and eNews?

We are always looking to support our member organizations, and one of the
ways we show support is in advertising your events and exhibits. Have an
exhibit or event you'd like promoted?
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/event-submission/> Feel free to submit
your listing via our online calendar registration form here.

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line.