[Michlib-l] eNews from HSM: State Conference Early-Bird Deadline, Fun Facts, Lincoln Tour, Upcoming Events

Historical Society of Michigan hsm at hsmichigan.org
Fri Aug 18 08:00:43 EDT 2017

State History Conference - It's Coming Up!

Early-Bird Registration Ends: August 20, 2017

Standard Registration: August 21 - September 10, 2017

Late Registration: September 11 - 18, 2017

 <http://hsmichigan.org/conferences/annual-state-history-conference/>
SHC-current-coverWe're quickly closing in on our 143rd Annual State History
Conference, and the dates are coming up fast! Our Early-Bird pricing
specials are only available until August 20, 2017, so if you're interested
in the best bang for your buck, register now on our website.
<http://hsmichigan.org/conferences/annual-state-history-conference/online-re
gistration/>

The State History Conference moves to a different location each year. This
conference celebrates all aspects of Michigan's history and offers a
close-up look at the heritage of the host area, which for 2017 is Holland,
Michigan. Take a tour through historic downtown Holland, learn more about
the DeZwaan windmill and the Holland Museum, and experience a wide plethora
of workshops and keynotes tailored to West Michigan.

The State History Awards are also presented during the conference. Each
year, the Historical Society of Michigan presents a State History Award to
those individuals and organizations that have made outstanding contributions
to the appreciation and understanding of Michigan history.

To learn more about this year
<http://hsmichigan.org/conferences/annual-state-history-conference/> 's
conference, visit our conference page on our website.

The Latest Issue of Michigan History

We've just completed our latest issue of Michigan History magazine! For
September/October, we've covered a wide range of topics, including the lives
of women prisoners in the Detroit House of Corrections, the Fermi Accident
of 1966, and the work of the internationally famous Minoru Yamasaki. Check
out our list of articles below:

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/current-Made-in-Michig
an.pdf> Made in Michigan: Seamless Stockings by Robert Myers

"This is a Class 1 Emergency": The Fermi 1 Accident by Jim Bloch

Mr. Selfridge: Harry Selfridge's Michigan Years by Jeremy W. Kilar

The Upper Peninsula's Unlikely Crop by Robert Poel

A Collegiate Home Front: Albion College in World War II by Christopher N.
Blaker

Welkom to West Michigan: The Dutch Immigration of 1847 by Gerrit Van
Schelven

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/current-highlighted-ma
gazine-story.pdf> Life Behind Bars: The Women of the Detroit House of
Correction by Tobin T. Buhk

Over Here, Over Here: Michigan's Forts and Airfields by Dan Heaton

Modernizing Michigan: The Work of Minoru Yamasaki by Amy Wagenaar

 Don <http://hsmichigan.org/publications/michiganhistory/read/> 't forget to
sample a few of our stories on our website!

Origins of Bad Axe: What's in a Name?

Some Michigan towns, such as Bad Axe, have odd names. In 1861, Rudolph Papst
and George Pack found a beat-up axe while surveying a state road through
Huron County. Papst wrote "Bad Axe Camp" in his survey notes and on a sign
placed on the trail. A post office opened there in 1870 with the name Bad
Axe. The county board of supervisors platted the village and made it the
Huron county seat in 1873.

Michiganders on the Road "Life of Lincoln" Tour still has some openings.
Register today!

Experience an in-depth look at the life of one of America's greatest
presidents with our "Life of Lincoln" motor coach tour! The 4-day, 3-night
tour in October includes a special visit to the new Abraham Lincoln
Presidential Library and Museum in Springfield, Illinois. We'll also tour
Lincoln's New Salem State Historic Site, the Lincoln Home in Springfield,
the Lincoln Tomb in Oak Ridge Cemetery, and much more! Your guide will be
Robert Myers, our Assistant Director for Education Programs and Events. Like
all of our tours, we've planned every detail ourselves-no "off the rack"
tours for us!

The tour is from October 13-16, 2017, and is $625/person. This cost includes
all dinners and breakfasts plus one sack lunch on the bus; lodgings; and all
admissions fees, taxes, and gratuities.

Reservation deadline is September 1, 2017.

Our Michiganders on the Road motor coach tours are for HSM members only, but
if you would like to join our tours and are not currently a member, we have
an option on our registration page to add a membership to join the tour.

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/programs/michiganders-on-the-road/lincoln-tour-re
gistration/> To register for the tour, click here!

  _____

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

 <https://hsmichigan.org/store/donate/>

Calling all HSM Member Organizations!

Do you have an unusual, one-of-a-kind artifact or item in your collections?
We're looking for eligible items to include in our publications. If you
think you have a unique item of interest, let us know! Eligible items and
artifacts that belong to an HSM member organization will be featured in our
publications, along with your organization's site information.

Please e-mail editor at hsmichigan.org for more details.

Do you have a topic you'd like to present at one of our 2018 conferences?

We're looking for proposals!

For those interested in submitting a presentation,
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/conferences/sessions/> please fill out the
proposal form on our website.

We are excited to consider new proposals for 2018!

Did you know we have an online calendar listing history-related events?

One of our membership benefits for local historical organizations is our
online calendar. Tailored to promote local history events around the state,
our online calendar highlights member organization events and exhibits. Do
you have an event or exhibit you'd like displayed? See our instructions
below to submit to our calendar!

Upcoming Events From Our Members

The Hanover-Horton Area Historical Society presents "26th Annual Rust 'n
Dust Days Antique Tractor and Farm Show," Saturday and Sunday, August 26-27,
in Hanover.

The Iron County Historical Society presents "Miner's Labor Day Picnic,"
Saturday, September 2, in Caspian.

The Elk Rapids Area Historical Society presents "Animals in the Civil War:
Beyond Old Abe and Traveller," Thursday, September 7, in Elk Rapids.

The Northville Historical Society presents "Northville Heritage Festival,"
Friday through Sunday, September 15-17, in Northville.

The Little Traverse Historical Society presents "Historic Home Tour,"
Saturday, September 23, in Petoskey.

The Greater West Bloomfield Historical Society presents "Aromatherapy
History," Wednesday, September 27, in Orchard Lake.

The Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum presents "7th Annual Whitefish Point: Run
for the Light 5K/10K Walk/Run," Saturday, October 14, in Paradise.

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/> For more calendar events, see our
website!

Interested in featuring an event on HSM's online calendar and eNews?

We are always looking to support our member organizations, and one of the
ways we show support is in advertising your events and exhibits. Have an
exhibit or event you'd like promoted?
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/event-submission/> Feel free to submit
your listing via our online calendar registration form here.

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line.