[Michlib-l] eNews from HSM: Latest Michigan History, Motor Coach Tour, History Hounds, Upcoming Events

Historical Society of Michigan hsm at hsmichigan.org
Fri Dec 15 14:34:42 EST 2017

Our Latest Michigan History!

As the 2017 holiday season continues, Michigan History magazine's
January/February 2018 issue is available for purchase. This inaugural 2018
issue combines the results of our 2017 reader survey, features editorial
updates, and hosts a collection of exciting new special sections for our
readers.

What's new?

Some of Michigan History's newest sections include:

Manny on the Move:

Follow Manny the Moose, HSM Magazines' mascot, as he travels throughout
Michigan to explore historical spots.

Focus on MI:

Learn about some of Michigan's lesser known communities, locations,
organizations, and institutions.

Facts & Finds:

Hear fascinating stories about Michigan artifacts belonging to our member
historical organizations.

In addition to introducing these new special sections, we've also tweaked
our existing columns and updated the overall look of the magazine. We're
thrilled to share our efforts!

 <http://hsmichigan.org/publications/michiganhistory/read/> See what's in
our current issue!

Michiganders on the Road Presents "Founding of America" Tour

We know Michigan is a great state for culture and history. But we also know
there is some great history in the other 49 states as well. That's why we
developed our "Michiganders on the Road" motor coach tours-and we've already
set our sights on 2018!

How did our nation come about? What did our founders envision for the United
States? Can a government of the people, by the people, and for the people
survive? As one historian has put it, "the road from Jamestown leads to
Gettysburg." We'll discover how the United States originated and how it was
sustained in our 9-day, 8-night "Founding of America" tour. History-packed,
fun-filled, and bursting with good eats along the way, this tour is sure to
delight anyone looking for a historical adventure with fellow Michiganders.

<https://hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/founding-of-america-tour.
pdf> View the detailed itinerary on our website.

<http://hsmichigan.org/programs/michiganders-on-the-road/america-tour-regist
ration/> Already know you want to come? Register today!

History HoundsT Presents.

Millennial Visions & Earthly Pursuits: The Israelite House of David

January 10, 2018

with Bob Myers

Millennialist preachers Benjamin and Mary Purnell founded the Israelite
House of David in Benton Harbor in 1903. Their religious commune soon
gathered hundreds of members and became an economic powerhouse, including an
amusement park, jazz band, and baseball team. Scandals and feuds rocked the
colony, but it survives as one of America's oldest communal orders.

All History Hounds lectures began at 7 p.m. and take place at the Meijer
Education Center at the Historical Society of Michigan. Members of the
Society can attend for free, and non-members can attend for $7/person.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/history-hounds-lecture-series/> Learn more
and register on our website!

  _____

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

 <https://hsmichigan.org/store/donate/>

Check us out on Facebook!

 <https://www.facebook.com/hsmichigan/> Image result for facebook icon

 <https://www.facebook.com/hsmichigan/> HSM page

Last minute gift? We've got you covered!

Everyone scrambles for the last gift (or two, or three!) during the holiday
season. If you're looking for a unique and long-lasting gift, consider
giving the gift of Michigan History magazine!

today!

Looking for a Job?

If you are looking for work, make sure to take a look at our
<http://hsmichigan.org/resources/position-openings-in-michigan/> History Job
Board. This board is lists our member organizations' various opportunities
from all areas of the state.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/resources/position-openings-in-michigan/> Check them
out on our website!

The Local History Conference is Coming!

March 23-24, 2018

Sterling Heights

Upcoming Events From Our Members

The Greater West Bloomfield Historical Society presents "Local History of
Curling Open House," Sunday, January 14, in West Bloomfield.

The Library of Michigan presents "Mid 20th & 21st Century Biographical
Research," Saturday, January 13, in Lansing.

The Holland Area Historical Society presents "Answering the Call: Company K
Sharpshooters in the Civil War," Tuesday, March 13, in Holland.

The Greater West Bloomfield Historical Society presents "From Hastings to
Home: An Introduction to Detroit's Early Jewish History," Sunday, March 25,
in West Bloomfield.

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/> For more calendar events, see our
website!

Interested in featuring an event or exhibit on HSM's online calendar and
eNews?

We are always looking to support our member organizations, and one of the
ways we show support is in advertising your events and exhibits. Have an
exhibit or event you'd like promoted?
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/event-submission/> Feel free to submit
your listing via our online calendar registration form here.

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line.