[Michlib-l] Toolkit from Oakland Public Library: Evaluating Children's Books About Police

Lancaster, Catherine (MDE) LancasterC5 at michigan.gov
Tue Dec 19 15:48:15 EST 2017

Please excuse any cross-posting.

Subject: [alsc-l] Toolkit from Oakland Public Library: Evaluating Children's Books About Police

ALSC Community Members,

Children's librarians at the Oakland Public Library (CA) have developed Evaluating Children's Books About Police: a toolkit for librarians and other evaluators of children's literature<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rytbtFbHtH6UYRLzUQDf3h4gJ6noSPIAxhHJsfo-QTw/edit?usp=sharing%3e> to help library selectors evaluate the books you offer for children about police officers and policing, and to consider how those books may impact the children in your community.

The topic of engaging with police is of current interest to families in our community, and we find available media lacking in breadth of perspective. The depiction of police officers as friendly and helpful is nearly universal in the children's publishing world, and professional review media do not currently address other less represented, but equally valid, perspectives.

This is an opportune moment for libraries to examine their collections for accuracy and relevance to all children. Books help children understand the world around them, and most books about police are written to instruct children about the work police officers do.  To uphold professional standards and the Library Bill of Rights, it is important for children's material selectors to understand and consider all potential views of police officers when selecting materials for our collections.

We hope this toolkit is helpful, and welcome you to share it.

Amy Martin  (she/her)
Children's Collection Management Librarian
Oakland Public Library
125 14th Street, Room 6
Oakland, CA 94612