[Michlib-l] Internet filtering -- Class 1 (and 2) libraries

Heather Doran hrdoran at darcylibraryofbeulah.org
Fri Feb 24 18:49:12 EST 2017

The board here has decided to hold a special meeting next week -- will
likely be Tues -- so anyone willing/able to shoot me some info over the
weekend is welcome to drop by anytime for a gold star and a cup of tea.

We're looking for feedback from Class 1 (and 2) libraries on CIPA and
internet filtering to meet E-rate/USF standards. We're particularly
interested in those with limited budgets (we run around $100,000), single-
or double-person staffing, and no onsite IT.

   - What was your reasoning for either moving forward or declining to
   filter?
   - If you chose to filter, were there any unanticipated costs or issues
   during the initial set-up?
   - And once that was completed, what's your experience been in terms of
   how much staff time gets used to manage things daily?
   - On a weekly average, how often minors are prevented from accessing
   information?
   - Do you use either login or time management software?
   - Did you hold a public forum before making the switch? What's the
   public response been?
   - Do you filter your wireless?
   - And anything else I've not thought to ask.

Thanks for your help -
Heather

--
Heather Doran