[Michlib-l] First comes March...

Lancaster, Catherine (MDE) LancasterC5 at michigan.gov
Tue Feb 28 10:22:16 EST 2017

In March we have "Reading Month," this year we're featuring Michigan Reads<http://www.michigan.gov/michiganreads> in March for the first time.  If you've not checked out our programming guide online with wonderful activities, songs and more, all broken-down into the 5 Every Child Ready to Read practices, please do so.

Then in April the National Ambassador for Young People's Literature, Gene Luen Yang, is launching "Reading without Walls<http://geneyang.com/the-reading-without-walls-challenge>."  This program is designed to encourage young people to read a book with a character that doesn't look like them, a book about a topic they don't know much about and a book in a format they usually don't read (audio, book in verse, etc). For full details and downloadables go to: http://www.cbcbooks.org/reading-without-walls/.

Finally we have May, where we will celebrate the 98th Annual Children's Book Week<http://everychildareader.net/cbw/intro> (May 1-7)!  Don't for get to sign up at EveryChildaReader.net to receive posters, downloadable resources, bookmarks and more.

Of course all of this leads into June, the start of Summer Reading!

Happy Reading,

Cathy Lancaster

Youth Services Coordinator
Statewide Library Services