[Michlib-l] Library Unique 4-Digit Identifier

T.A. Cutler Memorial Library CutlerLibrary at live.com
Mon Jan 16 15:07:47 EST 2017

Hello,

We are planning to migrate from a 5- to 7-digit alpha-numeric barcode for patron accounts and item records to the standard 14-digit numeric barcode.

I'm hoping to find a unique (or relatively unique) 4-digit identifier. Since I've been told there isn't a national registry for this anymore, I thought I'd just check with all of you on the listserv whether your library uses any of the following three combinations as your library's code:

5141

2077

4380

If you use one of those four (or know a library that does), please let me know. Please reply off-list to cutlerlibrary at live.com [😊]

Also, if you have a supplier you love for barcodes/library cards, could you please share that information.

Lastly, do you use a check-digit in your barcode and if so, which symbology do you use?

Thank you very much!

Jessica Little

Library Director

T.A. Cutler Memorial Library