[Michlib-l] Library Unique 4-Digit Identifier

Helen Dewey rhdewey at charter.net
Tue Jan 17 10:33:41 EST 2017

 From ALA:

  Bar Codes in Libraries

*Question: *Is there a standard library barcode identification system?

*Answer*: The short answer is "no".  There are many barcode
<http://wikis.ala.org/professionaltips/index.php/Bar_Codes> registries,
including one called the "National Barcode Registry". However, this
registry only contains a fraction of all library barcodes in the United
States and Canada, mostly those libraries that formerly used a system
called GEAC, which is now maintained by Infor. You can still obtain a
new, unique prefix assignment from this company, but you need to call
them, as the service is not available online.

There are several types of barcodes
<http://www.makebarcode.com/specs/speclist.html> in use in libraries, as
well as RFID <http://wikis.ala.org/professionaltips/index.php/RFID>. In
most libraries, the first digit of the barcode indicates whether the
code is for a patron or an item.  The next4 digits are the library
identifier.  Since there are only 9,999 variations to this 4 digit ID,
and there are many more libraries than that in the US alone, there is
bound to be some overlap of these codes.

Helen
Benzonia Public Library