[Michlib-l] Using texting for circulation notices

Denise Foley dmfoley at umich.edu
Wed Jan 18 12:47:25 EST 2017

Interesting article Shannon! Last year at the University of Michigan
library we created an opt-in text notification system somewhat similar to
the one described. Users can sign up to receive text notifications for
renewals and when books have arrived in addition to email notifications. We
are using Twilio and have synced it with Aleph so that notifications are
sent about the same time. It's been working quite well!

If you'd like more info I'm happy to share!

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 10:07 AM, White, Shannon (MDE) <
WhiteS29 at michigan.gov> wrote:

> Last week there was a bit of discussion about using mobile phones and apps
> for circulation. Another method is to use texting for renewals and notices.
> There was a short article in the recent ALA Direct about a Colorado library
> system that has been using this for a couple of years. You can read about
> the Garfield County Libraries use of texting here:
> http://www.postindependent.com/news/local/library-news-
> texting-is-the-newest-way-to-renew-your-books/
>

> Shannon
>

> -----------------------------
>
> Shannon White
> Library of Michigan