[Michlib-l] Free Library Related Webinars for February, 2017

Atkin, Evette (MDE) AtkinE at michigan.gov
Tue Jan 31 10:17:19 EST 2017

Greetings!

The list of free library-related webinars for February is now available at: http://www.webjunction.org/news/webjunction/55-plus-free-february-webinars-for-library-staff.html.  Highlights include:

February 3
Teaching Digital Literacy with TechBoomers.com and Other Online Resources (Nebraska Library Commission)<http://nlc.nebraska.gov/scripts/calendar/eventlist.asp?Mode=ALL>
A big part of the TechBoomers.com mission is to empower libraries and other technology training organizations by offering our free video and article tutorials to help them teach digital literacy. Libraries of all sizes find our educational content to be a great asset to build their programs around, as it saves them the time and effort of preparing training materials for websites that are constantly changing. TechBoomers.com can also be a valuable tool to encourage students to continue learning at home on their own time. To help spread the word about this, TechBoomers.com has teamed up with the Nebraska Library Commission to run a webinar that will explain all the ways libraries can leverage free resource websites like TechBoomers.com to help them teach digital literacy.

The Networking Game (Siera)<http://www.sieralearn.com/the-spotlight-webinars-series/>
The Networking Game is the art of discovering patterns in the world and making useful connections for ourselves and for others. It is about weaving new options into our safety nets. Networks are based on the interests each individual pursues; in fact, we like to think of people as explorers with many kinds of quests. The rules of networking keep us on track.

February 24
Linked Data and Libraries: An Overview (Nebraska Library Commission)<http://nlc.nebraska.gov/scripts/calendar/eventlist.asp?Mode=ALL>
Join Robin Hastings, Director of Technology Services for Northeast Kansas Library System (NEKLS), as she goes over the basics of what linked data is, what the potential of linked data can be and how libraries (and other organizations) are using it right now to make information more easily accessible on the web. Learn what the Library of Congress is doing with BIBFRAME and how projects like the Open Library are making use of linked data to extend their reach and make their information reusable.

Evette M. Atkin
Continuing Education Coordinator
Library of Michigan
atkine at michigan.gov<mailto:atkine at michigan.gov>