[Michlib-l] Tech help question

Andrea Estelle aestelle at otsegolibrary.org
Tue Jan 31 14:24:09 EST 2017

Hi Kat,

After a sticky situation last year regarding computer help – we knew we had to clearly define what our staff would and would not help with at our library – so we came up with the list below. We made it look attractive and printed it on a 5x7 laminated card and put it by all our computers to explain what we will help patrons with.  I’ve shared it below in case something similar might be helpful to you.

If patrons need extensive computer help we do allow them to sign up for 1-on-1 help with a staff member (half hour session) but entering private information would not be done during that session. This document and the 1-on-1 sessions have together been very helpful when patrons are asking for things that would violate their privacy or are beyond what we have the staff time to help with them with.

WHEN YOU NEED COMPUTER HELP:

In general, we can help you:

Open the internet and go to a specific website if you have the URL.

Open a Word document.

Print a document that you have already opened/created.

Attach files to an email.

Print a tax form.

Please bring someone to assist you with:

Typing.

Creating a resume.

Finding forms other than tax forms, filling out forms on a website.

Navigating within websites or finding specific websites if you don’t have the URL.

Accessing legal, private, personal, or confidential information (online banking, government documents, unemployment, etc.)

Bringing an assistant or trusted friend may be necessary for you to accomplish your tasks. Thank you!

Andrea Estelle, MLIS

Library Director

Otsego District Library

Brighten the Corner Where You Are

Every Great Community Deserves a Great Library

 <http://www.otsegolibrary.org/> www.otsegolibrary.org