[Michlib-l] Check out these upcoming workshops from WebJunction.

Atkin, Evette (MDE) AtkinE at michigan.gov
Thu Mar 2 13:49:30 EST 2017

Check out these free upcoming workshops from WebJunction, offered courtesy of the library of Michigan

Privacy Literacy at Your Library
Tuesday, March 7

3:00 PM-4:00 PM Eastern Standard Time

Our offline lives are no longer separate from our online identities. Many people are unaware of how their information is being used, what they have control over, or how to have safe online interactions. San José Public Library's Virtual Privacy Lab <http://click.e.oclc.org/?qs=56e402348b564c13a6023730ee4c4730a1d5d8941a44d1fa30cd2ae6e439eedc2f785abc37a7393c2f25561c7e19d7cf> has developed a seven-module customized learning experience for library patrons, in English, Spanish and Vietnamese. The modules guide users through topics such as social media and security, and provide personalized tips, links and resources that enable them to feel safe and confident online. This privacy literacy resource is available for everyone, so learn how you can utilize the online Virtual Privacy Lab with the populations you serve at your library. This webinar is part of a series highlighting the work of recent LJ Movers & Shakers and is hosted in collaboration with Library Journal. Presented by: Erin Berman, Innovations Manager, San José Public Library (CA)

Whole Person Librarianship: Fostering Empathy in Challenging Times
Tuesday, March 28
3:00 PM-4:00 PM Eastern Standard Time

Libraries are among the few public spaces that feel safe and welcoming to everyone in our current political landscape. As librarians striving to provide equitable service, we are challenged to meet the needs of patrons whose life experiences are markedly different from our own. To address these challenges, we have much to learn much from social workers, who are trained to approach their clients with empathy while maintaining professional boundaries. Whole Person Librarianship draws from social work concepts to help librarians become more confident in learning from, interacting with, and serving diverse patrons. Learn basic ideas to build your empathy skills, such as cultural humility and person-in-environment, to apply right away to your library practice, as well as where to find more in-depth information and support. Presented by: Sara Zettervall, Founder, Whole Person Librarianship<http://click.e.oclc.org/?qs=56e402348b564c137e287b3fcf585c2f0501a45b9a49e1d8d9e0f12e2d67da4db15bc6db4f9f3da7aa529227edf85eed>, and Adult Services Librarian, Hennepin County Library (MN); and Mary Nienow, PhD Candidate in Social Work, and beginning in August 2017, Assistant Professor, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire (WI).

Evette M. Atkin
Continuing Education Coordinator
Library of Michigan
atkine at michigan.gov<mailto:atkine at michigan.gov>