[Michlib-l] Ambassador Books

Julie Censke - Colon Township Library julie.censke at monroe.lib.mi.us
Tue Mar 28 10:32:46 EDT 2017

Hi All,
For the last couple of years, I've been troubled by a reoccurring situation with a company called Ambassador Books. Every year, a fast-talking gentleman would come in the library with a small stack of books that had been "donated" by local businesses to our library, as well as the school library. He would provide me with thank you notes to send to the local businesses (wait, what?). This bothered me because I had never requested the books, but the situation was giving the appearance that we had. I disliked the fact that his company was benefiting from this situation at the expense of our local businesses too.

For the last two years, I just let it go because I'm busy. This year, I decided to reach out to the school library and find out what their experience was with Ambassador Books. The school librarian pretty much had the same experience as I did, and the donated books usually didn't get read, sat on a shelf, etc. I wondered how much this company was profiting from our local businesses, so I decided to reach out. I found out that four local businesses were donating between $300-$600 annually. I explained the situation to the business owner and suggested that they forgo donating to Ambassador Books, and donating the money directly to the school for new books of the librarians choosing. I received a mixed response. Business owners that had been giving for years were generally glad to know the situation, they don't want to waste their money, but one was upset that we didn't appreciate their gift. THANK YOU, AMBASSADOR BOOKS...

I just wondered what other libraries thought of this odd situation? Also, here's a link about the company.

http://nash-news.com/uncategorized/books-for-school-children-or-a-scam-for-area-businesses/

Sincerely,

Julie Censke
Colon Township Library